**ENDED** Pink Ivory

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
More than a little bit. No way this is mahogany, as I said in post #6 when Andrew suggested the same thing.

Paul, I had read the entire thread and am aware of your previous suggestion. If you re-read my post, nowhere did I say that it was or could be Cuban Mahogany - just that it reminded me a little of the Cuban Mahogany I've been working with lately, but that the end grain was off.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Paul, I had read the entire thread and am aware of your previous suggestion. If you re-read my post, nowhere did I say that it was or could be Cuban Mahogany - just that it reminded me a little of the Cuban Mahogany I've been working with lately, but that the end grain was off.
Right. I got that. I was just supporting your comment that the end grain seemed off.

dvoigt

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Derek
I would assume that the weight of the pieces would exclude mahogany. The piece I had were pretty dense and turn a lot more like a rosewood and not at all like a mahogany

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
I would assume that the weight of the pieces would exclude mahogany. The piece I had were pretty dense and turn a lot more like a rosewood and not at all like a mahogany

Same stuff I have. The name you mentioned also sounds kinda familiar to what he said. Wish I wrote stuff down or something... Lol

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
@GeorgeS check your wood against sissoo rosewood on my site. Your wood seems too grainy for that but not impossible and the end grain also (at least to the extent that I can see it) seems possible. Sissoo grows in florida and is fairly heavy. Hm ... now that I look more closely, I'd say the sapwood of sissoo is a particularly good match (the heartwood not so much). Let us know what you think.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
@phinds The color is off for sisso on the heart wood. This wood is pretty dense as @dvoigt said.
OK, I thought the heartwood would be the problem. Thanks for checking that.

That really grainy heartwood face grain looks naggingly familiar but I'm just drawing a blank. Unfortunately, I'm a whole lot better at telling what a wood ISN'T than I am at figuring out what it IS.

Blueglass

Reaction score
First name
Les
I had looked at the pics and kind of thought Tropical Almond but was so far from being sure I didn't say anything. There are a few possibilities but the end grain kinda throws me.

Blueglass

Reaction score
First name
Les
Not Tropical Almond it is light, Cuban Mahogany is not light. @phinds do you have any samples of Woman's tongue or Wild Tamarind? I have yet to get these woods . My othe guess would be Willow Bustic and I know Paul cleaned up a sample and pored it here on WB like 2 years ago.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Not Tropical Almond it is light, Cuban Mahogany is not light. @phinds do you have any samples of Woman's tongue or Wild Tamarind? I have yet to get these woods . My othe guess would be Willow Bustic and I know Paul cleaned up a sample and pored it here on WB like 2 years ago.
Woman's tongue is on my site as lebbeck. It's pretty similar to monkey pod. I used to have tamarind on the site but took it off some time back.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul

Blueglass

Reaction score
First name
Les
Woman's tongue is on my site as lebbeck. It's pretty similar to monkey pod. I used to have tamarind on the site but took it off some time back.
I'm just trying to think of woods from FL that may be similar. I do mostly think of face grain I must admit.
THanks

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
I'm just trying to think of woods from FL that may be similar. I do mostly think of face grain I must admit.
THanks
I think pretty much everybody thinks of face grain because that's what's obvious and most people aren't used to thinking much about the end grain. I've discovered that the end grain is WAY more useful in most cases.

GeorgeS

Reaction score
First name
George
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm thinking since nobody knows what it is it must be super rare and someone should buy it. :lol2:

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
It looks a lot like carob to me, but that's just based on the color and face grain... I don't know what the end grain looks like

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
It looks a lot like carob to me, but that's just based on the color and face grain... I don't know what the end grain looks like

I've got some carob, I can look in a bit. Tony

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Carob also crossed my mind but I didn't have enough confidence to suggest it because I don't have any with sap so I had nothing to compare that to.