Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
Carob also crossed my mind but I didn't have enough confidence to suggest it because I don't have any with sap so I had nothing to compare that to.

When did you start running short on confidence?:taunt:

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Color and graininess are ~ right for carob but the end grain just doesn't look right. Unless I can see a clearer shot of the mystery wood end grain I can't rule out carob completely but I'd bet against it.

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
I'm the morning I will hopefully shoot some pics of the wood i got and will aprons and an end grain pic. I looked at it today and im confident it's the same stuff and was harvested in Florida.

GeorgeS

Reaction score
First name
George
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Tony What does the face grain look like? That looks like it may be a match. I can't do any better until next Saturday. I'm camping at the beach for the next week. image.jpeg

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Well, I'm still drawing a blank. I did find one end grain that's a good match, yellow sucupira / Sweetia fruticosa, but I doubt that's it. It has the graininess of the mystery wood but just doesn't look like the most recent face grain pic (directly above) at all.

Another possibility, also somewhat remote: angelim pedra / Hymenolobium spp.

@Mr. Peet I see you still haven't weighed in on this thread. You drawing a blank too?

Last edited:

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Man, that looks like carob! I'm thinking that's what it has to be even though the end grain doesn't look quite right. I only have a single species as carob (Ceratonia siliqua), but maybe there's a closely related species that I'm not familiar with.

Last edited: