How's your day been?

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
Did that bat guana for 5 years, had headaches like that on a regular basis.

mdlbldrmatt135

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Matt
I can't really complain, it has been a good vehicle. It's pushing 225k......

Of course, now the shop looks like a bomb went off.... I really need to get all the tools put away. I was just so damn sick of it, I set them in a pile on the floor.

Last edited:

Bigdrowdy1

Reaction score
First name
Rodney
Been a mechanic for most of my life. Never could learn from a book. I couldn't retain $hit. Let me take it apart and I could put it all back together. Only needed a manual for specs. Hated Christmas time trying to understand the manuals for assembling toys and the like. Model cars as a kit taught me how to make one of a kind cars using and modifying custom stuff because got tired of trying to understand their instructions.
IKEA sucks with their modular desk and such. Just saying from my point of view.

rocky1

Reaction score
First name
Rocky
I get enough of it at work to fill my need for greasy fingers and clothes. Brakes went out on 4300 IH we had same issues. Fought everything taking it apart, 3 of us took turns walking around in circles with breaker bar and 3 ft cheater pipe taking rotors off the hubs. Had to run 60 miles in 2 directions for parts, 2 trips one way, get it all but back together, and then the brake line broke. Another 60 mile trip.

Boss decided we should put lift kit on his Dodge pickup, "it's only supposed to take 4 hours". That's all it took to put the back half on, front end took a day! Everything was over torqued from factory 90,000 miles earlier.

Brake job on 1 of the one tons here turned into 4 days of putting brakes on, 200 mile trip for Dodge parts, after 5 trips to town. But everything in the fleet had new brakes all the way around, rotors, drums, and pads, front and rear when we were done. Dodge had new bearing assemblies in both front hubs. Over $2500 in parts, 4 days labor for the mechanic I was assisting. A ton of cussing!! Mechanic totally missed the clunk putting things back together that indicated bearing was out in the hub. I caught that while he was assembling it. I was like, whoa... Stop... Wait a minute! This is not good!! Of course we already had the other side together, had to pull it back apart. Sealed bearing assemblies, if ones out to the extent that one was, you simply do both. POS would have been sitting side the interstate with bees on somewhere between here and Boynton Beach soon thereafter, had I not caught it.

Last edited:

Schroedc

Still making sawdust, Maybe make some money....
Reaction score
First name
Colin
I get enough of it at work to fill my need for greasy fingers and clothes. Brakes went out on 4300 IH we had same issues. Fought everything taking it apart, 3 of us took turns walking around in circles with breaker bar and 3 ft cheater pipe taking rotors off the hubs. Had to run 60 miles in 2 directions for parts, 2 trips one way, get it all but back together, and then the brake line broke. Another 60 mile trip.

Boss decided we should put lift kit on his Dodge pickup, "it's only supposed to take 4 hours". That's all it took to put the back half on, front end took a day! Everything was over torqued from factory 90,000 miles earlier.

Brake job on 1 of the one tons here turned into 4 days of putting brakes on, 200 mile trip for Dodge parts, after 5 trips to town. But everything in the fleet had new brakes all the way around, rotors, drums, and pads, front and rear when we were done. Dodge had new bearing assemblies in both front hubs. Over $2500 in parts, 4 days labor for the mechanic I was assisting. A ton of cussing!! Mechanic totally missed the clunk putting things back together that indicated bearing was out in the hub. I caught that while he was assembling it. I was like, whoa... Stop... Wait a minute! This is not good!! Of course we already had the other side together, had to pull it back apart. Sealed bearing assemblies, if ones out to the extent that one was, you simply do both. POS would have been sitting side the interstate with bees in somewhere between here and Boynton Beach soon thereafter had I not caught it.

What gets me is when you go to work on a car and the last person to work on it was a total idiot. Had to do breaks on my Subaru, supposedly it had just had a brake job done before I bought it and the last person put RTV silicone all over the backside of the pads before installing. Of course that seals in anything and when it rusts on the back they swell causing drag which causes noise and wrecking the new rotors.

rocky1

Reaction score
First name
Rocky
Well, it was a pretty good day! Met up with at @FLQuacker for lunch, and we practiced up for Thursday! Wayne, our wives, and I met up in the big town of Live Oak, where we've met a few times for lunch now, but I changed restaurants up on them, and we did Chinese today. The Fusion Chinese Buffet there is simply awesome!!! Food is always out of this world, American and Chinese cuisine on the buffet line, separate bar for salads, sushi, and deserts, and all you can eat for only $9.99. My first plate was full, second one needed sideboards! Suffice to say, no one left hungry... Took me until about 3:30 to find the ambition to move afterwards!!

Thanks for lunch again Wayne!! Was a fun time as always bud.

After I got to moving, went and pulled cards on cameras and looked at deer pictures to make me grumpy.

Then I tackled my Adult Erector Set! Really should do a green house but that's more permanent, requires site prep, and I'm wanting to try this arrangement out and see how it works where I have it set, BEFORE I do more permanent. Simply easier than putting the green house up and listening to 2 women fuss until the end of time. Wife and mother-in-law have about 50 - 60 potted plants around here that we have to arrange shelter for every winter, and I wind up having to fight some damned arrangement of blue tarp propped up over patio umbrella, ladders, broom sticks, yard rakes, etc. etc. with a halogen lamp under there for a heat source. Usually works until it rains, then you have to prop it all back up working under a wet tarp.

10 x 17 Portable Garage - from Harbor Freight

Erector-Set.jpg

Should any of you have ever scratched your head wondering how big a PITA one of these is to assemble. An old fat redneck can put it up in about 3 - 3 1/2 hours. It all just slips together, cover ties over it with rope and ratchet straps. Frame took me about 2 hours to assemble from opening the box. ZERO help! Mother-in-law offered, but at 83, she's good for about 5 minutes of being in the way, so it wasn't worth involving her. Bottom rail, each side has 6 carriage bolts in it, middle 2 feet on each side have a pin through them and cotter pin in it. (Pick up extra little bitty cotter pins before leaving town, when you swat at mosquitoes with the little SOB in your hand, it simply disappears, never to be found again. Package was short 2 - 6 mm washers, but there was an extra Nylock nut in it. Had both on hand, not a problem.)

Have to pull the bottom rails back off to put the cover on it yet, cover has sewn in sleeves the bottom rail sections run through, but I needed them on there to secure everything to position it. Should be done with all of it in less than an hour. 4 - 1" x 15' ratchet straps are advisable to hold the top together while you assemble and position it as well. Once the fabric is on, it locks it all in place, but until you get that on, they help stabilize everything. Harbor Freight recommends a 4 pack of them, they don't however tell you what to do with them. Ran strap left end to right middle, right end to left middle on each side. Worked slick!!

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
Anchor that thing down good rocky... I see lots of em take flight up here... mine is the dome style I keep boat in and next year I'm wrapping it in pole barn steel instead of the tarp because they dont last long at all.

rocky1

Reaction score
First name
Rocky
It has anchors for the 4 corners, (definitely going in... have seen more than one or two garden sheds rolling around town after 25 years in ND), but I was also contemplating some steel stakes with washers welded on top, to drive in the feet of the center posts. We don't get a lot of wind down here, and it's tucked back in a pretty secluded spot, so I have my fingers crossed.

Hadn't thought about wrapping it in other materials, could use the clear panels made for greenhouses. Few u-bolts and a little firring that could work pretty easily.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
It has anchors for the 4 corners, (definitely going in... have seen more than one or two garden sheds rolling around town after 25 years in ND), but I was also contemplating some steel stakes with washers welded on top, to drive in the feet of the center posts. We don't get a lot of wind down here, and it's tucked back in a pretty secluded spot, so I have my fingers crossed.

Hadn't thought about wrapping it in other materials, could use the clear panels made for greenhouses. Few u-bolts and a little firring that could work pretty easily.

They have those anchors that screw into the dirt with an eyelet on top, maybe think about those.

rocky1

Reaction score
First name
Rocky
That's what came with it for the 4 corners Tony, then there's a little cable and cable clamp to secure it to the foot on each corner.

The center posts have little triangular feet with 3 holes in them. Those are designed for driven stake(s) on the foot, or bolting it down.

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
I put 5 4' rebar with a bent tab on top in mine per side. It gets really windy here and it still moves a little. I wouldn't trust the 4, especially if they are those little 2 footers I've seen em come with.

Schroedc

Still making sawdust, Maybe make some money....
Reaction score
First name
Colin
Spent the morning out in the woods with my eldest boy. Long time since I've hunted at 20 degrees. It's cold. Saw one deer over 150 yards out in brush so no idea buck or does. Of course on way back into town saw half a dozen on the road in places we couldn't shoot one. Will get out early tomorrow and see what happens

CWS

Reaction score
First name
Curt
Traveled 50 miles to the V.A. for a routine checkup at 8 a.m. They called at 7:30 that the dr. was taking the day off. I was already there. There was a bright side to the morning though. The hospital is close to a Menards, Lowes, Harbor Freight and a Tim Hortons. None of which are close to home.:good2:

drycreek

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Herb know how you feel we lost our Belgian Shepard In September and she was 14 can’t help but look for her every morning. At our age they are just as loved as our human kids.

mdlbldrmatt135

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Matt
I'm sitting at the office...(been since 5am :coffeenews:) and I seem to have developed a case of WTFamIheresoscrewitallitis..... Luckily I only need to last till 3:30 today and from 5 to 11am tomorrow.... them Enjoy the time off till Monday the 26th... Oh wait... I have two 8 hour round trips in the car to take the boys to their Father for the holiday.....:taunt:

Kenbo

Self proclaimed expert of nothing
Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken
Well, my week has been one where my whole way of living has been turned upside down and it can be summed up in one word.......RENOVATION. For the first time in my life, I have had to come to terms with the reality that my health will no longer allow me to do the renovations myself and I had to hire a contractor. I managed to find an independent guy who works alone and who has the same work ethic as me and is as picky as I am. For now, our kitchen and front foyer is in our living room and dining room and we are cooking and washing dishes downstairs. The tile is all done now and the grout will happen on Monday. Tuesday comes the counter samples and from there the template guys will come with their lasers to do the measuring and we may or may not have the counter in before Christmas. Realistically, I think we are looking at January though. In the meantime, there is a ceiling to drywall, new crown moulding to install, a full paint job throughout both rooms and of course, new lighting fixtures. Once that is all done, our independent guy will come back and do our backsplash for us. I'm getting too old for this bat guana but my wife is over the moon with her new floor and is beyond excited to get rid of the dated mosaic green tile and (believe it or not) tongue and groove PINE!!!!!!!!
E7E1FF55-2F9B-46B9-98AF-7013EFDBE652.JPG

Last edited:

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
I hate selling stuff - getting sick of dealing with crazy people, ignorant people, or flaky people responding to my sale ads for my table saw. Also dealt with some mild food poisoning yesterday and am now dealing with a nasty cold.

But, on the plus side, got a phone call from the body shop this morning that our van was done, so we ran over and picked it up. Shoot, they even repaired a dent they didn't have to - and that I was honest with the insurance adjuster in stating was pre-existing from someone's door hitting our van and putting a dent in the front driver's side fender (which the front fender was untouched by the deer). Pulled up to the body shop and our van was parked along the road. Our 6 year old exclaimed, "Ooooh, it looks like a brand new van!" Well, they did do a good job of the repairs and it was ready to be picked up on the exact day they estimated it would be ready.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
I hate selling stuff - getting sick of dealing with crazy people, ignorant people, or flaky people responding to my sale ads for my table saw. Also dealt with some mild food poisoning yesterday and am now dealing with a nasty cold.

But, on the plus side, got a phone call from the body shop this morning that our van was done, so we ran over and picked it up. Shoot, they even repaired a dent they didn't have to - and that I was honest with the insurance adjuster in stating was pre-existing from someone's door hitting our van and putting a dent in the front driver's side fender (which the front fender was untouched by the deer). Pulled up to the body shop and our van was parked along the road. Our 6 year old exclaimed, "Ooooh, it looks like a brand new van!" Well, they did do a good job of the repairs and it was ready to be picked up on the exact day they estimated it would be ready.

little buttons, tried hitting the like button but big fingers hit more...wonder if my comment was karma with my truck. Good luck with the new van.