Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

How's your day been?

Discussion in 'Kenbo's Chat Room' started by Kevin, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Tony

Tony Hardwood Enthusiast Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Tony
    whathesaid

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. SubVet10

SubVet10 Craftsman; gearhead, twidget, sci-fi nerd Full Member

First name:
    Brandon
    Deal. :good:

• Like Like x 1
  3. ripjack13

ripjack13 ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Marc
    I'm here to help, not hinder. I do that to my wife.
    :sarcastic:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Herb G.

Herb G. Member Full Member

First name:
    Herb
    I had an interesting week so far. I had an appt. with a foot Dr. on Monday.
    I had to wait 2 weeks to get it. My feet are killing me. I can't stand or walk more than 20 feet without having to rest or sit down.
    I get there on time, only to see a hand written note on the door saying the office is closed.
    So, I come home & find a message on my machine saying the Dr. isn't coming in & they are rescheduling his appts.

Yeah, well KMFA. I ain't dealing with a Dr. who doesn't see fit to keep his appts. So I called my insurance co.
    and filed a complaint. Whether or not he deals with it, it goes on his record.
    I call another Dr. and got an appt. the next day. I could have just called him 2 weeks ago & not have to deal with this pain all that extra time.
    I saw the new Dr. yesterday.

I come home & opened my latest credit card bill. They posted a payment late on purpose so they could hit me for a late fee
    and they had the balls to charge me interest on a zero balance. So I told them where to shove that card. I closed the account
    and told them to send me a final bill. They even told me I had a "stellar payment record". They removed the late charge, but not the interest.
    That's when I lost it & told them to stuff it. If they can afford to lose customers of 22 years, let them deal with it.

I called my bank & removed the access from my account for that card as well.
    So, that's my week .....so far.

• Sincere Sincere x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  5. Lou Currier

Lou Currier Member Full Member

First name:
    Lou
    Keep any eye out for Murphy...he likes to come in threes.

upload_2019-4-17_8-28-5.gif

Don’t hurt the messenger (this was a public service) :biggrin:

6. SubVet10

SubVet10 Craftsman; gearhead, twidget, sci-fi nerd Full Member

First name:
    Brandon
    Sorry to hear about the bad time you've had of late. At least you got your foot, finally, taken care of.

I did the same thing with USAA a couple years ago. The two times I have actually needed them they gave me the finger. It really starting nagging on me how than can run commercials ad nauseum now, and even have a Bowl Game... So when I called the agent to cancel everything with them she asked if I was comparing apples to apples; had to tell her no, because y'all aren't even in the same zip code. My bad for now shopping around more I suppose, but shame on them for ripping vet's off.

• Sincere Sincere x 2
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Gdurfey

Gdurfey Member Full Member

First name:
    Garry
    I was going to complain about my continuing issues at work; supervisory stuff, etc........and nope. They are there, they are real, but am so happy to have a job, paid tomorrow, and will continue to support the military as a civil servant. My team of 90 is awesome and way smarter than I am and we do great things with satellite ground systems to allow us to sleep better at night and navigate from one place to another without folding a map. Can't beat it in many ways. Just frustrated at times. between folks not acting like adults or the bureaucracy.....

Need to get back to the lathe, been away from it for about 3 weeks due to business, personal trip, etc. Have a gorgeous mesquite blank already roughed out sitting there waiting for final sanding the bottom and flipping. Thanks @Bean_counter , pictures still coming..... amazing how much better I feel after turning something or spending time in the shop.

• Like Like x 3
    • Sincere Sincere x 1
  8. Bean_counter

Bean_counter Member Full Member

First name:
    Michael
    Can’t wait to see it! I was in your area again and boom I was ignored when I texted you!!!

• Funny Funny x 4
  9. rocky1

rocky1 Creator of Shavings and Sawdust! Full Member

First name:
    Rocky

GARRY!!! You are just the guy I need to talk too! How come the global positioning system refuses to recognize addresses on the highway I live on?

It's some weird sh1t, let me tell you!! Nothing finds addresses out here, none of them, unless you have a Google account, log in, go to your address, find it wherever the hell it put you, drag it up here where it belongs, and save it as a corrected address in Google. Then Google will find you! Nothing else will, unless you get here somehow, and save it in your GPS. Even had problems with this on the 911 system when it was initially installed, and that wasn't at all good! In fact. the mother-in-law was hemorrhaging and damn near died over that one! Ambulance was no where close when needed most.

But, GPS refuses to recognize this highway as a valid address. Can sit in the front yard at the shop, tell it to "Find Nearest Known Address" and it will pull up the neighbor's house on the dirt road 1/2 mile to the east of the shop. Been at the same location since 1968, business has been there since 1952, address changed late 80s early 90s, post office allocation thing, we were on the end of the route, they moved the end of the route a half mile. If you have a mailbox 100 ft. off the highway on a side road out here, GPS will find it without a hitch, move that mailbox to the highway, and you can forget it.

Mapquest and Google were running in the same neighborhood, before I fixed us in Google. And, that was finding us 12 miles west of Lake City on Highway 90, and then south a few miles out in the middle of nowhere, rather than 14.7 miles north of Lake City on Hwy 441. (This one has made a few Fed Ex truck drivers extremely grumpy, because dispatchers don't tell them to call for directions, as is noted on our account!) Bing I think it is, takes you to Office Max on Highway 90 west in Lake City, 20 miles away. Yahoo takes you to the intersection of 441 and 41 on the south end of town, likewise about 20 miles away.

Prior to saving Home on my Garmin, it wanted to take me to a location north of Alachua on 441 for the address up here, which is 40 miles or more away.

Is this a common kinda glitch? Are we living in some secret government hideaway, time warp, or what? I mean I know there are a lot of warped individuals out here, but... this goes on south of town too. Had a truck driver up here looking for an address 12 miles south of town.

Inquiring minds want to know!

• Funny Funny x 2
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  10. Bean_counter

Bean_counter Member Full Member

First name:
    Michael
    Damn @rocky1 my head hurts now

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. rocky1

First name:
    Rocky
    If you think your head hurts, you should try running a business with this crap to deal with. People call up all the time talking about, "I'm trying to find you, but you aren't where my GPS says you are." They call and say they're coming after honey, we tell them explicitly "look us up on Google, your GPS will not get you here". Sure as hell, an hour later they call up lost.

And, it hasn't gotten any better, this has been going on for ages. Have notified MapQuest, Bing, Yahoo, Garmin, TomTom, best I got was a generic reply from Yahoo, that they would look into it.

• Sincere Sincere x 1
  12. Gdurfey

First name:
    Garry
    GPS is working fine..........its those darn brainiacs in California at Google headquarters that can't read a paper map to translate it into their map software.

Actually a good question; I don't believe there is actually a "map" in the control software. I will have to ask that. All i think it does is report a position that is then integrated into the map software. Told you I was the manager and not one of the smart guys!!!!! Hijack one of those "Google Streetview" cars and force him down your road at gunpoint to get it right!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. rocky1

First name:
    Rocky
    When you correct it in Google, it does come up with the right street view pictures. :good:

Never thought about that previously... I'll check it out and see where all it loses us. Want to say it came up with images for the location where the dot was on the map, and it is accurate after correcting the address, of course I switched to map view, and dropped the marker looking down the driveway, so it should be.

Were it an integration problem, you might expect someone would have got close. But all of them are off, and not off just a little either. Likewise, those addresses immediately adjacent to the highway on side roads should be off, I would think, and they're not. I mean, if you were turning GPS coordinates into addresses, and a bad algorithm resulted in an integration error, it shouldn't be different for the highway and an address 100 ft off the highway.

I still suspect government conspiracy.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Gdurfey

First name:
    Garry
    Discovered we did have a tree down on our property from one of the two storms, probably the first. Amazing how trees this size can be snapped that high in the air. Started trimming with my chainsaw and quickly realized it was not going to handle the tree. Our local farm supply store had a sale on, they had a husqvarna rep in the store and I walked out with the 450 Rancher. Similar to Stihl’s Ranchboss, but had the 20 inch bar, goes up to 24, and seems to be just one size larger than the Stihl. Hope I made the right choice. I bought it to use for many years.

8A92FDBB-E420-428F-B225-215409441B37.jpeg

5D32D1A5-6958-450A-AD6C-58CFA93A7F6F.jpeg

CBAAC80E-079F-4B3E-91A4-84F997E76716.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Way Cool Way Cool x 1
  15. Gdurfey

First name:
    Garry
    On anonote, a wood turning friend is starting to clean out a bit and I scored big time. Ash, oak burl, and 4 large pieces of aspen, 2 of which have all types of stuff going on in the inside. Saw a piece the friend is turning and it has crazy color, but punky. Will be interesting....but it gives me a lot of blanks to try to take my skills up some.

235563CE-6B41-49C0-81C4-F917B52D7180.jpeg

822E5A38-CDC5-4667-8FE1-77A9296FB490.jpeg

DB632019-FD4B-43ED-ADF9-CB72545BE01D.jpeg

D536F5D8-2284-45BE-B134-FB1060F69299.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
    • Way Cool Way Cool x 3
  16. woodtickgreg

woodtickgreg scroll, flat, spin Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Greg
    What's not to like about getting a new chain saw:cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Lou Currier

Lou Currier Member Full Member

First name:
    Lou
    And free wood :treehugger:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Herb G.

Herb G. Member Full Member

First name:
    Herb
    Well, it's a new week, and time for another round of Dr.'s appointments.
    I hope I get thru this week without any problems like I had all last week.
    I am tired of Dr.'s treating their patients like an ATM machine.

• Sincere Sincere x 3
  19. Eric Rorabaugh

Eric Rorabaugh Member Full Member

First name:
    Eric
    Good luck Herb!

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. ripjack13

ripjack13 ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Marc
Current Time: 4:58 PM