How's your day been?

I finally got around to grinding the birch tree stump out. Rented a grinder from home depot. I had to change the cutters about half way thru the job. Cut much better after that.
Before.......
20250908_182158.jpg 20260508_160927.jpg
My betty is a great helper!
20260508_152148.jpg 20260508_152158.jpg
The hole will get filled in with sod from a backyard project I have planned.
20260508_161004.jpg
 
Next home depot rental was a sod cutter.
I did this in 3 passes deep, all clay! Made a pass and shoveled it out, made another pass and repeat.
A lot of this dirt will go in the stump hole.
20260511_124231.webp
Of course you always find buried surprise concrete and bricks.
20260511_124239.webp
 
Pretty much have the forms done. I still have some dirt to shovel out in some high spots.
20260512_171119.webp
The cross boards are just set in loose so i can move them as needed while I pour the concrete. Ill be mixing my own. The days of me hustling to wheelbarrow concrete in and get it finished are behind me. Mixing my own I can work at my own pace. I'll rent a mixer. I estimate this at 36 bags. Probably a 2 day job for me.
20260512_171152.webp
 
Pretty much have the forms done. I still have some dirt to shovel out in some high spots.
View attachment 288581
The cross boards are just set in loose so i can move them as needed while I pour the concrete. Ill be mixing my own. The days of me hustling to wheelbarrow concrete in and get it finished are behind me. Mixing my own I can work at my own pace. I'll rent a mixer. I estimate this at 36 bags. Probably a 2 day job for me.
View attachment 288582
Looking good. How about some rebar...
 
Pretty much have the forms done. I still have some dirt to shovel out in some high spots.
View attachment 288581
The cross boards are just set in loose so i can move them as needed while I pour the concrete. Ill be mixing my own. The days of me hustling to wheelbarrow concrete in and get it finished are behind me. Mixing my own I can work at my own pace. I'll rent a mixer. I estimate this at 36 bags. Probably a 2 day job for me.
View attachment 288582
Massive project broken into manageable segments...
Lowe's in our area rents a mixer called a mud mixer. You hook a water hose to it and put the spout over the area you are pouring and drop a bag on the tear bar to start. Hit the go switch and it pushes premixed concrete out the front, right into your pour area. One guy can put out a ton of concrete with that tool.

Also, as a construction guy, I normally put at least a 3 foot high stripe of plastic over the lower siding area. I have had too many guys splatter or tap or otherwise transfer the concrete onto my walls.
 
So you will no longer have softscape for the rain, but hardscape for it to splash off and onto the wood siding. Do you plan to do anything to protect the structure?
 
So you will no longer have softscape for the rain, but hardscape for it to splash off and onto the wood siding. Do you plan to do anything to protect the structure?
Well the gutters run on the front and back of the garage so most of the water runs that way and not on the side where the walkway is. Garage needs to be painted but will eventually be sided. I'd rather have a walkway that I can shovel the snow off to get into the side door and not have to open the big door in the winter.
 
Rebar is pretty much a requirement here as our soil is a gumbo consistency. The action of swelling and contracting would destroy that walkway in less than a year here without rebar.
Actually I'll be doing this in small sections so it will almost be like pavers allowing it to move with our freeze and thaw cycles. Rebar is not a requirement where I'm at.
 
Well i started my day by going to menards and loading 24 patio stones that are 16" square. Wife's idea for another walkway alongside our driveway, you can see where they are going to the left of the stack.
20260514_154943.webp
Then since I didn't punish my body enough I shoveled dirt and moved it to fill the stump hole. The pile is almost gone now. 20260514_170950.webp
Still have to level it out in the front yard but thats for another day, I'm spent.
20260514_170201.webp
Ibuprofen is my friend again.
 
Spent the day gathering stuff from the house and setting up a cedar sale. Then drove back to Knoxville to continue waiting in the CCU with my wife. She is scheduled for double bypass on Monday but has to stay on a heparin and nitro drip until then. She had a "minor" heart attack last Friday and has been under Dr care since.
 
Sorry to hear that Frank. As someone who has spent too much time with relatives in CCU, I'll give you some advice that was given to me. Trust the doctors to take care of your wife, but your job is to take care of yourself so you can help her with recovery.
 
Spent the day gathering stuff from the house and setting up a cedar sale. Then drove back to Knoxville to continue waiting in the CCU with my wife. She is scheduled for double bypass on Monday but has to stay on a heparin and nitro drip until then. She had a "minor" heart attack last Friday and has been under Dr care since.
Oh my Frank, Did not know that. What Tim said plus you and your wife will be in my thoughts and prayers!
 
Spent the day gathering stuff from the house and setting up a cedar sale. Then drove back to Knoxville to continue waiting in the CCU with my wife. She is scheduled for double bypass on Monday but has to stay on a heparin and nitro drip until then. She had a "minor" heart attack last Friday and has been under Dr care since.
Sorry to hear. Prayers to you all. Take care of yourself and her
 
Spent the day gathering stuff from the house and setting up a cedar sale. Then drove back to Knoxville to continue waiting in the CCU with my wife. She is scheduled for double bypass on Monday but has to stay on a heparin and nitro drip until then. She had a "minor" heart attack last Friday and has been under Dr care since.
Prayers for her and your family.
 
Spent the day gathering stuff from the house and setting up a cedar sale. Then drove back to Knoxville to continue waiting in the CCU with my wife. She is scheduled for double bypass on Monday but has to stay on a heparin and nitro drip until then. She had a "minor" heart attack last Friday and has been under Dr care since.
Prayers for all of you and your travel. Get a room if needed.
 
Back
Top