It's yours if you correctly guess

  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #22
Maybe it is traditionally used to sharpen chisels, so I will guess Arkansas stone
Looks like I've got a winner here. The name is Novaculite. I have about 100 pounds of it as it's a really nice rock for flintknapping after cooking some upwards of 900 degrees. Most will work at heat treating of 600 degrees unlike some flints that work at no more than 500 degrees.

Now, does anyone want to guess why the holes are there?

Nothing for the correct guess as @Maverick got this if he PM's me his address. I'll send it in a 12x12x12" box with a bunch of peenuts. Cost will be just about 20 bucks. ............ Nubs
 
Hey, this ties in nicely with Ripjack's question of the week. Novaculite is supposed to help break through energy blockages and mental clutter; improve clarity of decision making and help cut the cord of confusion.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #24
Hey, this ties in nicely with Ripjack's question of the week. Novaculite is supposed to help break through energy blockages and mental clutter; improve clarity of decision making and help cut the cord of confusion.
That's a good word salad there, Doug. Are you seeking office come November?

I like your description though. ............ Nubs
 
Looks like I've got a winner here. The name is Novaculite. I have about 100 pounds of it as it's a really nice rock for flintknapping after cooking some upwards of 900 degrees. Most will work at heat treating of 600 degrees unlike some flints that work at no more than 500 degrees.

Now, does anyone want to guess why the holes are there?

Nothing for the correct guess as @Maverick got this if he PM's me his address. I'll send it in a 12x12x12" box with a bunch of peenuts. Cost will be just about 20 bucks. ............ Nubs
I would not have guessed novaculite. The ones I know are smoother. Also, making pencil holders from it seems like a waste.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #26
I would not have guessed novaculite. The ones I know are smoother. Also, making pencil holders from it seems like a waste.
Danny ole boy, the holes weren't drilled for a pencil holder. I indicated the holes were CORED. Do you know what that means?:sofa: ............Nubs
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #30
At the end of today, I'll give you guys the answer as to why the holes are there, but keep guessing. ......... Nubs
 
Coring in any substrate is typically used to get a good analysis across the entire depth of the core. Don't know why they would core so much in a small area though.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #35
Coring in any substrate is typically used to get a good analysis across the entire depth of the core. Don't know why they would core so much in a small area though.
It's not that late right now, but I'll give you the reason for the Cores. This block with holes is just one piece of the 3-4 hundred pounds of raw Novaculite I got from Dan's Whetstones in Pearcy, Arkansas, ( https://danswhetstone.com/information/stone-grades-101/ ). His son is also a Flintknapper. That's how I came to know about Novaculite.

On one trip there, A German company that handles things that have a bore above 5/16 (8mm) ID needed Novaculite Rods to hone the ID's of whatever they were making. I do not know how long or how many they did over the years. That company just happened to have their representative there sorting through the rough stone, selecting what he thought was best for their needs. That's when I found out why there were holes in this rock I pictured. So, Honing Stones were the product of that rock.

Novaculite grits vary from about 400-600, 600-800, 800-1000 up to 1200 hundred as the finest grit. The rock I pictured is probably in the neighborhood 4-600. It apparently meets the customers standards cuz they're still being made. ......... Nubs
 
Last edited:
Back
Top