My Model build to start 2021

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Slacker. It's only got one speed. I would have expected a man with your high standards and skill would have made it with at least 5 or 6 gears and a working clutch with a cork lined pressure plate.

Kenbo

Self proclaimed expert of nothing
Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Slacker. It's only got one speed. I would have expected a man with your high standards and skill would have made it with at least 5 or 6 gears and a working clutch with a cork lined pressure plate.
Unfortunately, I tried that but because the design was an open ended vented clutch, if there was too much sawdust in the shop, as soon as I depressed the pedal, the plates would separate and jam up with sawdust. I got tired of being stuck in 4th gear so I removed it and went with a more simple system. Sometimes, you just gotta pick your battles. :good2:

Don Ratcliff

I'm now a Texiian
Reaction score
First name
Don
Unfortunately, I tried that but because the design was an open ended vented clutch, if there was too much sawdust in the shop, as soon as I depressed the pedal, the plates would separate and jam up with sawdust. I got tired of being stuck in 4th gear so I removed it and went with a more simple system. Sometimes, you just gotta pick your battles. :good2:
Like you let any sawdust build up in your shop, tell me another one... :lol2:

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Well, I guess that's understandable. You are planning on installing a world class sound system tho, right?

Kenbo

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken
Well, I guess that's understandable. You are planning on installing a world class sound system tho, right?
Only the best. :lol2:

Kenbo

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken
Another 8 hours today. I concentrated on the crank shaft and getting the front chain connected to it. There was a lot of sanding and shaping of the sprockets that guide the chain as well as a lot of finicky little adjustments, but in the end, I think I finally have it working correctly. I still need to do some adjustments on the drive shaft but can't do them until everything else is in place for that. I then got the rear wheels all glued in (finally) and once they are dry I will most likely do the final adjustments to the differential which has a couple of sticky spots that need to be filed.

IMG_9250.JPG IMG_9251.JPG IMG_9252.JPG IMG_9253.JPG IMG_9254.JPG IMG_9255.JPG IMG_9256.JPG IMG_9257.JPG

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Pretty slick you made cam shafts to drive pistons up and down. An idea popped into my head... with some minor modifications you could also entertain your cat with this.

Kenbo

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken
Another 7 hours on the build today and although it doesn't look like much, it was time consuming. I finished the rear tire mounting and glued the end caps in place as well as installing the tilting assembly. I also glued the front end caps on the front tires. I spent the rest of the day working on the gears and racks to run the "hydraulics" and hopefully, by next week, we will have that functioning correctly.

IMG_9258.JPG IMG_9259.JPG IMG_9260.JPG IMG_9261.JPG IMG_9262.JPG IMG_9263.JPG IMG_9264.JPG

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
I lost track of this thread for awhile, didnt get any notifications. Absolutely amazing work my friend!
Like I've said before........
Kenn OCD.......
Greg ADD.......
:sarcastic: :cool: :taunt:

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
The complexity and finite detail to make this fit together and operate smoothly is just astounding to me Ken. My hats off to you.

Kenbo

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken
Spent 9 hours on the build today. I managed to get the rest of the parts made for the "hydraulics" and got them temporarily installed in the model. I'm not sure if I like the height of them or not and I may decided later if I want to remake the pistons of the "hydraulics" themselves or if I want to just keep it as it is. I will see once I get a little further in the build. Either way, I went from the pistons to a couple of handles that I needed. I spent almost 3 hours on them, getting everything perfectly aligned, only to discover (when it was far too late to do anything about it) that I had glued them together backwards. Nothing but designer kindling now for the wood stove. I cut some more pieces for the handles and got them glued together. Tomorrow I will continue to finish those and make my "oops" go away. LOL. (By the way, the picture with the pop can is just for a size reference)

IMG_9265.JPG IMG_9266.JPG IMG_9267.JPG IMG_9268.JPG IMG_9269.JPG IMG_9270.JPG IMG_9271.JPG IMG_9272.JPG IMG_9273.JPG IMG_9274.JPG