What did you do in your shop today?

Wildthings

ASTROS '23 ALCS CHAMPIONS runnerup
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Looks cool!

What are the clamps holding down?
They are keeping the walnut from floating. I actually poured too much epoxy and it started to flood the upper right clamp pad. Took that clamp off and wiped it clean, put tape on tongue depressor and used them for shims under that clamp pad to keep it above the liquid level

Last edited:

Alan R McDaniel Jr

Reaction score
First name
Alan
I put over station area storage on two walls. Still haven't done the other two. The trouble with storage areas is that you end up storing things in them. I do need some more shelf space though and a room like that would create the storage on top (loft) and double the wall space for shelves. With shelves along the shop walls I tend to stack stuff in front of them and I can't get to it when I need it. Also for tools that I keep in their cases (power planer, biscuit cutter, etc, ) that don't get used as often, shelves hold them nicely. AND I can shut the dang door and everything doesn't have two inches of sawdust on it after a project.

I guess I'll never be done with the shop thing....

Alan

Albert Kiebert

Reaction score
First name
Albert
Cut up some Maple log sections for firewood with chainsaw today and found some Concrete the hard way,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, lots of sparks ! Used hatchet to expose the evil beast and then cut it out for souvenir !
Dang City trees, someone had filled in a broken/rotted branch years ago with concrete.
3*3*6" long

CB0BD9C6-BE3F-45E1-869E-266383CC75B3.jpeg

Last edited:

vegas urban lumber

Reaction score
First name
trev
Cut up some Maple log sections for firewood with chainsaw today and found some Concrete the hard way,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, lots of sparks ! Used hatchet to expose the evil beast and then cut it out for souvenir !
Dang City trees, someone had filled in a broken/rotted branch years ago with concrete.
3*3*6" long

View attachment 199903
that spalt is pretty nice for firewood

Albert Kiebert

Reaction score
First name
Albert

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
Finished sanding and got some mineral oil on these 2 small boards made from cut offs of larger ones.

5830470E-EFC3-4654-902B-AB1BD5BE6775.jpeg

Finally got the last panels glued up on this segmented block (see @barry richardson segmented hollow form posts).

D07FC774-376F-4B6F-A749-7C66510032DD.jpeg

Before glueing the last panels I took the block to the band saw to flatten the end for a face plate. That’s when I remembered I never really aligned the table to the blade. It didn’t matter when I was just cutting bowl or pen blanks, but it sure did when I wanted to use the miter. So I spent a couple of hours doing what I should have done when I first set up the saw and got it dialed in.

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
Finished sanding and got some mineral oil on these 2 small boards made from cut offs of larger ones.

View attachment 199916

Finally got the last panels glued up on this segmented block (see @barry richardson segmented hollow form posts).

View attachment 199915

Before glueing the last panels I took the block to the band saw to flatten the end for a face plate. That’s when I remembered I never really aligned the table to the blade. It didn’t matter when I was just cutting bowl or pen blanks, but it sure did when I wanted to use the miter. So I spent a couple of hours doing what I should have done when I first set up the saw and got it dialed in.
Tom, why are you showing us wrapping paper, I thou you said they were cutting boards. :sofa:

Those and incredible sir!! Truly, I looked at the picture the first time and I know your work, but for a moment thought it was a print.

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry

View attachment 199916

View attachment 199915

Pretty darn nice "cut-offs"!

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Pretty darn nice "cut-offs"!
Was thinking the same! My cut-offs don't look nuthen like those cut-offs.

Now, "back in my day", cut-offs meant something else. Remember, Daisy Duke and what she used to wear? Now, that I've got your rapt attention, now imagine Little Mikey wearing what she would wear! Ok, now that your virtual visual cortex has been burned beyond repair - I return you to our discussion of wood cut-offs!

Last edited:

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Was thinking the same! My cut-offs don't look nuthen like those cut-offs.

Now, "back in my day", cut-offs meant something else. Remember, Daisy Duke and what she used to wear? Now, that I've got your rapt attention, now imagine Little Mikey wearing what she would wear! Ok, now that your virtual visual cortex has been burned beyond repair - I return you to our discussion of wood cut-offs!
Ahhh, my first love!

(Cathrine Bach, NOT Mike Hill!!!)