ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
I have a couple of those bars. Good old ones. I used em for scraping and trim work, and the hole is good for pulling nails a little ways out. I also sharpened one of them and have used it as a chisel. :blush:

Alan R McDaniel Jr

Reaction score
First name
Alan
Well, it looks just like my hive tool. But, googleing Allway pb1 comes up with a pry bar. Now why on Earth would somebody try to sell a hive tool as a pry bar?

Alan

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
I actually started cleaning out the garage this week.
I also added some single bubble foil insulation wrap to the inside of the overhead door and ceiling to keep the cold at bay.

0113211709_HDR.jpg

0113211709a_HDR.jpg

0114211659_HDR.jpg

0114211700_HDR.jpg

0114211700a_HDR.jpg

Almost done. It's already raised the temp up 10°!
I still have a few spots left to do, then tape the seams.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
@Krume @phinds @Byron Barker @TimR

Its been way to long, so I sanded up a few more samples for the collection. Can't seem to get any decent pictures anymore, so tried with lights off and then on.

2 Buarnut (1/4 sawn & flat sawn), Western white pine, Spalted river birch and 2 Red-tip photinia (1/4 sawn & flat sawn
004.JPG 003.JPG

Charapilla, white cedar, Cambodian Ormosia, Afata, Coffinwood, Orange jasmine, Amarela, Urundeúva and 2 sapele.
002.JPG 001.JPG

Just another 600 to sand and I'll be caught up....

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
I am finally going to get rid of this pin router jig that I made back in '81. The final product from it was used in Neuropsychology Testing. I made 2 boards, one with the 10 shapes for adults, and then another with only 6 shapes for children. There were also 10 shapes about 3/16 smaller that went with each order. I made thousands of those boards and all the blocks to fit. That kept me busy for about 12 years.
Anyway, I'm finally getting rid of the phenolic jig. I kept it around because I might have needed a piece of phenolic one day, but now it's not worth keeping.

This top picture is the bottom where the 3/16" pin rode in the groove.
A49AEB34-4440-4E58-AA46-3BBF15BF6C5C_1_201_a.jpeg

This is the surface where my material, 3/8" birch MDF core was placed and routed. The jig was much larger than you see now because I cut off all the usable Phenolic. Just thought I'd post these pictures I took today.
B78E873F-1D25-4222-BDBA-0235415AB663_1_201_a.jpeg

Anyway, I'm working on a doorway for my friend in Springfield, Missouri. It's almost an exact copy of the one I built for his house in Branson back in 2010. Somewhere, the width lost about 4-5" from the first one to this one. It has been a complete struggle this time. I just can't seem to get my act together. Anyway, here it is. E25CF694-0ACF-44BE-B8AB-2B896E42FFC8.jpeg
The next thing is to clean it up with sanding, and then make all the stop strips, mullion strips, hinges and door hardware. The glass will be ordered hopefully in Springfield tomorrow. Time is getting short, and I work better under pressure. And the dog is thinking, How the hell am I going to get outside?, or this is starting to look like a prison. ................... Jerry (in Tucson)

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
Nice looking doorway, really like the sloped detail on the side lights!
Tim, thanks. That detail is actually an arch. From the center panel to the outside stiles of the sidelights is a 2 1/4" drop. The one I did in 2010 didn't cause as much grief as this one did. Below is a picture of the first doorway. All those spots on the finish is mildew. I just couldn't believe it would mess up the wood like that. As I progress more, I'll get more pictures to share......... 1611011091471.png
............. Jerry (in Tucson)

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Thanks Jerry, I thought it might be an arch, but stared at the door for about a minute and wasn't sure. That's a really nice looking doorway, love the style.

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
I didn't mention before, but the first door back in '10 was made from store bought Rift Cut Quarter Sawn White Oak. The new door is White oak but supposed to be QS. I think only about 2-3 pieces were QS. The rest looks like it's just regular flat cut. One thing is, all this wood came off his property from clearing the ground for the new house, so I can't be blamed for any bad looking wood, and boy howdy, there is some bad looking wood. Powder post beetle holes galore, Pecky stuff like Pecky Cedar and cracks all along the 8/4 edge and also a few knots I couldn't work around. I had it sanded to size, 1 3/4 and 3/4" and it dried out some more, so lots of things to gave me grief. But, when done I don't think a normal person would be able to recognize the flaws I just described......Jerry (in Tucson)

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Grabbed the chainsaw and went for a walk yesterday planning to drop a tree to start restocking shelves. Happened upon a log section of honey locust I abandoned a year ago as it had very little color except a couple inches in the center of the log. Figured I'd cut a section and see what it looked like after sitting. Here are a couple of 10" bowls roughed from it. Can't believe how the color developed in these. I'll have to drop another and let it sit for a year.

honey locust.jpeg
Found a picture of a little bowl finished from the same tree. Roughed last winter and finished last fall. Decent color in the middle of the bowl, but sapwood is mostly featureless.

IMG_3364.JPG

Last edited: