Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Came home from work and planed all the boards to the same thickness. Ended up with 1 5/8"
20210608_184320.jpg
Got the first glue up done. Doing it in sections so I can run these through the planer again if I need to. Once these are surfaced I'll glue the 2 pieces together and then cut em to size, right now they are a bit oversize.
20210608_185748.jpg
Not to bad for a bunch of cut offs, lol.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Out of the clamps and they scraped right in, no need to run through the planer again as they stayed pretty level.
20210609_072111.jpg
Maybe tonight I can get them glued up together.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Got the 2 pieces glued up and in the clamps.
20210609_174906.jpg
Then I worked on scrap bin 1.2 by installing new castors.
20210609_181519.jpg
Much easier to pull out now and roll to where I need it. It fits under the saw nice.
20210609_182547.jpg

Last edited:

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
I started guitar #2 today. My coach and I re-bent the mahogany sides I'd bent last year. Because I couldn't put them in the form, they didn't hold their shape well enough. So we re-bent them. Today I made the end and heel blocks, glued them in place, put the sides back into the form (I wasn't sure how easy it would go back in but it went fine) and then glued on the first section of kerfing. After having done it once, I'm much more confident I'm doing it right and getting the little nuances correct. I'll finish the kerfing over the next couple days and then sand the sides in the radius discs. Then I'll start on the rosette for the top. I'm hoping to make an abalone / black ebony rosette for this one.

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
I started guitar #2 today. My coach and I re-bent the mahogany sides I'd bent last year. Because I couldn't put them in the form, they didn't hold their shape well enough. So we re-bent them. Today I made the end and heel blocks, glued them in place, put the sides back into the form (I wasn't sure how easy it would go back in but it went fine) and then glued on the first section of kerfing. After having done it once, I'm much more confident I'm doing it right and getting the little nuances correct. I'll finish the kerfing over the next couple days and then sand the sides in the radius discs. Then I'll start on the rosette for the top. I'm hoping to make an abalone / black ebony rosette for this one.
Pictures, please…

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
I'll take some pics when I have something different to take pictures of. Right now it looks exactly like the first guitar (see below pic) so there's nothing new or interesting to see. When i get to that rosette, now that might be interesting.

kerfing clamped closeup.jpg

kerfing clamped.jpg

kerfing close up.jpg

Last edited:

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Learned little tricks from the first guitar. Such as cut the end and heel blocks slightly longer so you can glue them in place a skosh proud of the side. Since both top and bottom are radiused, if you glue the blocks exactly even with the sides, you have to do a lot more sanding in the radius discs to create the necessary glue surface on the blocks (for when you glue on the top and back). Same goes for when you glue on the kerfing, gluing it slightly proud of the side means you mostly only have to sand the cedar kerfing and avoid sanding your sides, which if you do it too much, your guitar gets a little skinny. Which doesn't make it a bad guitar, just a little brighter and louder to the people sitting in front of it. Also cut the bevels on the end and heel blocks before gluing them in place - but don't make the bevels too wide or you lose clamping area. But make the bevel on the end block deep enough to eliminate that pinch point when you glue the top and back on. I've learned just enough to be dangerous now.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Came home from work and I got the top all trimmed up. I think this size will work nice, just enough overhang to grab on too. 20210610_190806.jpg
Rounded over all the edges with a 3/8" round over bit.
20210610_191806.jpg
Nice profile, now I gotta sand it all down and get some finish on it.
20210610_191816.jpg

Ray D

Reaction score
First name
Ray
Cleaned it!!!! Been redoing our kitchen for two months now… every weekend and every afternoon after work. Felt like I was knee deep in sawdust out there. Getting real old but did get a few new tools out of the deal. Lol.

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
Ash, a victim of the Emerald Borer.

241AC691-8EC3-4DDD-9010-FFFE7617FF9E.jpeg

Some day I’ll learn to cut straight with a chain saw. Sure would make mounting easier.

ADB30DFC-0561-4DAD-A732-931F29FDD9AD.jpeg

This has been down about 2 years and I was hoping for more spalting.

B2C9E238-6501-4914-B3B6-937DF1301E9B.jpeg

EE39BE36-A7E6-4FA7-950A-C2268891136E.jpeg

Hope to finish tomorrow.

27659313-5F00-4D02-B2E5-B6CBC74ED7CB.jpeg

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Worked on the table top for the morticing machine tool cart/stand.
Sealed a few knots with ca.
20210612_180538.jpg
Sanded everything to 150. Then blew it off and prepped for some finish, water-based polyurethane.
20210612_182510.jpg
This is the bottom with half done. Just gonna seal it up.
20210612_183015.jpg
Hard to capture how it will look when it's wet.
20210612_183040.jpg
You can't really see the cherry next to the oak unless you really look.
20210612_183504.jpg
Well the bottom will get 2 coats, maybe 3 on top.
What I like about the water-based poly is you can get a coat on every 30 to 45 minutes, it dries really fast and has no odor.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
It looks like you have carved out a great niche market. :good2: You really have it all sewn up! Lol.

Last edited: