What did you do in your shop today?

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Got tired of picking up after Friday's storm, so cut into some walnut and threw a piece on the lathe.

This is the piece I cut into.

walnut3.jpeg

Still have some work to do on the shape, but you can see where I'm headed with it. Picture0620211630_1.jpg

Picture0620211632_1.jpg

The rotten area goes all the way through, and is full of dead ants and eggs (sprayed with fipronil before sealing). Be interesting to see how cracks develop through this piece. Plan on twice turning it, but for now is wrapped in plastic until I can get back to it.

Picture0620211635_1.jpg

Picture0620211636_1.jpg

rob3232

Reaction score
First name
Rob
A lot of crotches in Walnut like that have ants in them. You might have some luck wiping the outside with some type of oil (linseed or??) just to even the drying as the center is usually very moist. Just my two cents…That looks really cool!

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Thanks guys.

Rob, thanks for the tip. I'll definitely do that when I get the outside shaped. Was thinking I need to do something and some oil sounds good. Probably use a heavy coat of polymerized tung oil.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
I found a pice of scrap 1/2" plywood so I did end up adding a shelf to the stand. It's not attached just gravity holding it in place. I had to take all the bolts out on 2 corners to get it in, lol.
20210620_110906.jpg

Alan R McDaniel Jr

Reaction score
First name
Alan
I like those casters. I need to change out some of my cheapo toe locking casters with some like those. Even locked there's still movement.... and it always happens at precisely the wrong time.

Alan

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Rough turned three of the reel seat blanks ( @Jonkou ) John sold me. I think he decided these were cherry burl. Doesn't matter - they're looking really nice so far. Anyway, rough turned them, then stabilized them in some pretty old Cactus Juice. Thankfully it still sets up fine. I'll turn them to final dimension and polish them and take a final photo later.

cherry burl before stabil.jpg

cherry burl after stabil.jpg

I also stuck three sets of the desert ironwood knife scales I got here in the stabilizer too. The Cactus Juice darkened to the color of tea so I guess the DIW released some oil into the juice. It's pretty old so probably time to mix a new batch anyway.

Last edited:

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Rough turned three of the reel seat blanks ( @Jonkou ) John sold me. I think he decided these were cherry burl. Doesn't matter - they're looking really nice so far. Anyway, rough turned them, then stabilized them in some pretty old Cactus Juice. Thankfully it still sets up fine. I'll turn them to final dimension and polish them and take a final photo later.

View attachment 211297

View attachment 211298

I also stuck three sets of the desert ironwood knife scales I got here in the stabilizer too. The Cactus Juice darkened to the color of tea so I guess the DIW released some oil into the juice. It's pretty old so probably time to mix a new batch anyway.
Almost look like cigars! Chuck

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
Has anyone ever replaced the cork handles on a regular spinning rod with wood? Think I may give it a try. If someone here has, any pointers to share?

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Has anyone ever replaced the cork handles on a regular spinning rod with wood? Think I may give it a try. If someone here has, any pointers to share?
Eric -
The key is to remember the rod blank is tapered. That's why making a grip from cork rings is the easiest way - you simply ream out each cork ring so it fits snugly. If you use a pre-glued grip or a longer grip, such as wood or foam, you have to adjust. You can try to achieve a reamed taper that matches the rod blank, or you can ream it out all to the same diameter (the largest needed to fit onto the rod) and then use masking tape to build up the blank so you get a snug fit). The easiest way to do the latter is to simply wrap tape in several places along the blank. Since the grip will be glued on with two part epoxy, you simply spread a little epoxy in the gaps between the tape wraps and they won't go anywhere.

Another thing to think about ahead of time is whether you'll have a butt section or extended butt or something at the end of the rod. If that butt section fits inside the grip, you have to slide the grip far enough up the blank to leave room for that butt section / extended butt. Even something like a small butt cap (usually made from hard rubber or metal) needs a small space to glue into the end of the grip. So don't install the grip right at the very end of the rod blank if this is the case.

I have not used wood for a grip but I think you could do your final shaping and finishing after gluing it on. You'd just have to take care and not stress the rod blank too much. You might need to use rasps or files rather than cutting tools if you decide to do it that way.

This nugget is pretty obvious but it pays to dry fit everything before gluing.

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
NOTHING in the shop today. At work, but gonna eat Blue Bell Ice Cream all day - wish! Instead I have CPR and Safety training most of day.

WISH Lil Mikey Happy Birthday Today - He's gonna be able to join the OFL now! - the big 65 and he's got the Beat Down Broken-Hearted, Lonesome Bubba Blues - unappreciated, underachieving, unattractive, unskinny, unwaxed - a total chunky monkey .......SLAP!!!! There he's over it! Give me that CPR dummy - I'll be a little frisky today and not use the little plastic thingie.

PS - was looking to have a cinnamon roll today and stopped two places and they had none - not a good start. But I do have the thrill of Blue Bell to look forward to later!!!!!!

If I didn't have that danged training I'd go get a cronut today and have me a sustained sugar high! ............. or maybe some Graeters Black Raspberry Chocolate Chip.....or some Talenti Belgium Chocolate!

Last edited:

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
NOTHING in the shop today. At work, but gonna eat Blue Bell Ice Cream all day - wish! Instead I have CPR and Safety training most of day.

WISH Lil Mikey Happy Birthday Today - He's gonna be able to join the OFL now! - the big 65 and he's got the Beat Down Broken-Hearted, Lonesome Bubba Blues - unappreciated, underachieving, unattractive, unskinny, unwaxed.......SLAP!!!! There he's over it! Give me that CPR dummy - I'll be a little frisky today and not use the little plastic thingie.

PS - was looking to have a cinnamon roll today and stopped two places and they had none - not a good start. But I do have the thrill of Blue Bell to look forward to later!!!!!!
Happy Birthday Mike, enjoy the Blue Bell, there's nothing better!