How's your day been?

William Tanner

Reaction score
First name
Bill
Thanks everyone for the thoughtful and kind comments. I’ll eventually get back into the shop after a long hiatus of actually doing any work. My buddy I’ve known since high school and work is coming from Bend and we will fish some next week.

SENC

Reaction score
First name
Henry
Pretty damned good...

20240504_130123.jpg

20240504_130335.jpg

Screenshot_20240504_132842_Chrome.jpg

Barb's BQ is in Lockhart, TX, self-proclaimed BBQ capital of Texas. Everything was fantastic, the pork ribs and sausage particularly exceptional. Highly recommended.

I'm amending my prior position on BBQ. While I still think BBQ (as a food name) is reserved for pulled pork (ENC-style), I'm coming around to these BBQ joints that serve Brisket, ribs, sausage, and turkey. These women at Barb's sure know how to do then right

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Pretty damned good...

View attachment 256540

View attachment 256541

View attachment 256542

Barb's BQ is in Lockhart, TX, self-proclaimed BBQ capital of Texas. Everything was fantastic, the pork ribs and sausage particularly exceptional. Highly recommended.

I'm amending my prior position on BBQ. While I still think BBQ (as a food name) is reserved for pulled pork (ENC-style), I'm coming around to these BBQ joints that serve Brisket, ribs, sausage, and turkey. These women at Barb's sure know how to do then right
Looks so good! I'll have to stop in there the next time I'm close to that area! Chuck

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Is that a new place? Kreuz's, Black's, Smitty's yes! - Got shirts with bbq grease on them from all three! But, not heard of Barb's. Would like to try it out next time.

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Pretty damned good...

View attachment 256540

View attachment 256541

View attachment 256542

Don’t deny - Assert Your Hidden Desires - Unleash Your Inner Brisket-Loving Self!

There exists a group of hormones that those of us in the know realize that many (especially those not from Texas) suppress in their lives. How sad! These are the feel-good hormones (dopamine, adrenaline, endorphins, and oxytocin); they are all well-stocked inside of brisket, just begging to be unleashed with low-n-slow smoking. Now, I have nary a scientific paper that I can point to, but in my heart of hearts, I know it is a fact! They do not exist in pork – well except for the ribs! With such a high bone-to-meat ratio, one would not expect the big four to be prevalent, but those morsels of rib meat are saturated!

At the first bite of brisket, your system gets flooded with endorphins, adrenaline, and dopamine because frankly – you’re excited. Your cheeks become flushed, and your breathing becomes fast and shallow! This can cause your heart rate to speed up and your blood pressure to rise. The surge of dopamine, the feel-good hormone, works on the reward center in the brain so that you long to keep coming back for more.

Of course, you can’t talk about feeling good without thinking of oxytocin. It’s called a lot of things, but when released, well, it makes you feel warm, wanting, and pampered! You may even experience an extra dose of it while chewing, drawing you that much closer to brisket nirvana. Your blood vessels begin to dilate; this can change the appearance and feeling of your body in all sorts of ways. Thanks to the increase in blood supply, you may even become flushed, your temperature starts to rise, and your pupils dilate!

I’d like to point out that just because you may be physically experiencing some or all of the symptoms mentioned above does not mean in any way that you are obligated to deny others of a similar salacious experience. Good Texans know that! With who, when, and how you choose to share should entirely rest in enthusiastic and mutual consent. Share with intention and joy, encourage taste-satisfaction, brisket positivity, and one’s connection to their inner brisket energy!

Our senses provide a direct link to our emotions and feelings! Lean back, open your mouth, insert bbq brisket done right, and take note of the sights, sounds, smells, textures, and flavors of your everyday life that ebb and are replaced by ones of brisket nirvana! Cultivate awareness and appreciation of your sensory experience. It is more than mere gustatory perception; you will become more present, more connected, and more in tune with your inner bbqnesss. Claim your wants and fondness of brisket without apology, shame, or restraint – have the courage to voice your desires! Manifest your vision and taste, reclaim your innate bbqness, and validate your worthiness!

Give yourself permission to truly explore, embrace, and honor brisket, and let the transformative power of this journey unfold before you. Not only savor the smokey sulkiness of a well-smoked brisket, but remember the senses and the fantasies that got the juices flowing (pun intended). All partakers of brisket goodness – we all know the feeling, the yearn, the tingles, the desire for more.

SENC

Reaction score
First name
Henry
Is that a new place? Kreuz's, Black's, Smitty's yes! - Got shirts with bbq grease on them from all three! But, not heard of Barb's. Would like to try it out next time.
Fairly new, yes - opened last year (after several in a truck). We were planning on Smitty's until several locals commented they thought Barb's was now the best in town (if we could get in before they sold out). I can't offer a comparison vs the others, but it was damned good.

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Fairly new, yes - opened last year (after several in a truck). We were planning on Smitty's until several locals commented they thought Barb's was now the best in town (if we could get in before they sold out). I can't offer a comparison vs the others, but it was damned good.

Didn't think they could have been open for long. Did not think I have seen them 2 years ago when passing through going to the airport after Mom's funeral.

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Ok, Lil Mikey was trying to take these to his rock, but wasn't able too - something about having to pay for them. Pics from my happy place - it's just laying around!! Nond of it koa, but in love anyways!

1715109598824.png 1715109631938.png 1715109677877.png
1715109739547.png 1715109790858.png 1715109861962.png

1715109981396.png 1715110268703.png 1715110317412.png

Last edited:

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck