How's your day been?

4th coat dried nice, leveled out pretty good. Rubbed it down with synthetic extra fine pad to break the gloss and give it more of a satin finish so you could actually see the wood and not the gloss.
Before the rub down....
View attachment 287063
After the rub down.
View attachment 287064
I like the satin look, doesn’t look so plasticy.
View attachment 287065
Before.....
View attachment 287066
After.
View attachment 287064
Job well done, looks fantastic!
 
4th coat dried nice, leveled out pretty good. Rubbed it down with synthetic extra fine pad to break the gloss and give it more of a satin finish so you could actually see the wood and not the gloss.
Before the rub down....
View attachment 287063
After the rub down.
View attachment 287064
I like the satin look, doesn’t look so plasticy.
View attachment 287065
Before.....
View attachment 287066
After.
View attachment 287064
Congrats! Looks terrific! How about the underside?
 
4th coat dried nice, leveled out pretty good. Rubbed it down with synthetic extra fine pad to break the gloss and give it more of a satin finish so you could actually see the wood and not the gloss.
Before the rub down....
View attachment 287063
After the rub down.
View attachment 287064
I like the satin look, doesn’t look so plasticy
View attachment 287065
Before.....
View attachment 287066
After.
View attachment 287064
Nice job, Greg. Now you need to make a couple water skis.
Nope, to old for that, lol.
 
I'm leaving tomorrow to go fishing for a week in the Bahamas. Don't bother me, leave some wood for me, and just so you know, I've rigged a booby trap into my wood stash in the garage.
 
Was 69 degrees here today after the rain quit. So I took the swing out for a longer shake down ride to evaluate it. Very enjoyable to ride. Took awhile to get used to no shifting. Mechanicly she is sound. I even smoked a Porsche of the line from a stop light, I think I surprised the driver. He just thought it was a moped scooter, lol.
Smooth, comfortable, and very easy and relaxing to ride.
20260409_173305.webp 20260409_173314.webp
 
I picked up the pressure treated 2x6s today for the boat trailer bunks. Like all it wood they are soaking wet! I've got them in the shop for a few days with a fan blowing across them to dry out a bit. When the tops are dry I'll cut them to length and then apply some rustoleum to 3 sides to seal the tops for the carpet. The bottoms will remain unsealed so the can dry out between uses.
20260410_144655.webp
This is the new used trailer. Much better than the trailer the boat came on. But the bunks do need to be replaced before i put it in service.
20260309_122727.webp
Trailer is rated at 7,000 lbs, double what my boat weighs.
20260309_122754.webp
 
I picked up the pressure treated 2x6s today for the boat trailer bunks. Like all it wood they are soaking wet! I've got them in the shop for a few days with a fan blowing across them to dry out a bit. When the tops are dry I'll cut them to length and then apply some rustoleum to 3 sides to seal the tops for the carpet. The bottoms will remain unsealed so the can dry out between uses.
View attachment 287228
This is the new used trailer. Much better than the trailer the boat came on. But the bunks do need to be replaced before i put it in service.
View attachment 287229
Trailer is rated at 7,000 lbs, double what my boat weighs.
View attachment 287230
What are bunks?
 
I picked up the pressure treated 2x6s today for the boat trailer bunks. Like all it wood they are soaking wet! I've got them in the shop for a few days with a fan blowing across them to dry out a bit. When the tops are dry I'll cut them to length and then apply some rustoleum to 3 sides to seal the tops for the carpet. The bottoms will remain unsealed so the can dry out between uses.
View attachment 287228
This is the new used trailer. Much better than the trailer the boat came on. But the bunks do need to be replaced before i put it in service.
View attachment 287229
Trailer is rated at 7,000 lbs, double what my boat weighs.
View attachment 287230
You may be able to find a supplier near you that deals in kdat or kiln dried after treatment. We have 2 fairly local to us. Keeps you from waiting for your boards to twist and dry out.
 
You don't know how truly quiet and dark it can be until you are out in the country on a cloudy night, no wind. frogs and night birds are silent and you loose power. Then, there is no way you are getting to sleep.
 
You may be able to find a supplier near you that deals in kdat or kiln dried after treatment. We have 2 fairly local to us. Keeps you from waiting for your boards to twist and dry out.
That's not really necessary, they are going to be submerged in water a lot. I just need the surface to dry out enough to get them sealed with paint on 3 sides.
 
So they are dry to the touch. I used a trim router and a 1/4" roundover bit to soften the edges of the ends of the boards. No sharp edges to gouge the boat hull as I'm pulling it up.
20260415_143423.webp
Ready to seal coat with oil based rustoleum paint.
20260415_144024.webp
1st coat is done, it'll be 2 coats on 3 sides. 1 side will be left open for the boards to dry after its pulled out of the water.
20260415_154957.webp
Oil based rustoleum is getting hard to find in Michigan. I did find some at Lowes but it's not the same ole rustoleum, it's been reformulated. Supposedly it's lower voc. It smells different and it doesn't cover as well as it used to, it's thinner as well. What a disappointment, they took a good product and ruined it. I guess next time I need to paint something with oil based paint I'll be looking for a new brand.
 
So they are dry to the touch. I used a trim router and a 1/4" roundover bit to soften the edges of the ends of the boards. No sharp edges to gouge the boat hull as I'm pulling it up.
View attachment 287482
Ready to seal coat with oil based rustoleum paint.
View attachment 287483
1st coat is done, it'll be 2 coats on 3 sides. 1 side will be left open for the boards to dry after its pulled out of the water.
View attachment 287484
Oil based rustoleum is getting hard to find in Michigan. I did find some at Lowes but it's not the same ole rustoleum, it's been reformulated. Supposedly it's lower voc. It smells different and it doesn't cover as well as it used to, it's thinner as well. What a disappointment, they took a good product and ruined it. I guess next time I need to paint something with oil based paint I'll be looking for a new brand.
The oil base is being phased out nation wide. Unless you can find govt surplus. The govt ,last I knew, was the only entity still allowed and in some cases required to use oil based paints with the old formulation.
 
The oil base is being phased out nation wide. Unless you can find govt surplus. The govt ,last I knew, was the only entity still allowed and in some cases required to use oil based paints with the old formulation.
For outdoor stuff, the low VOC stuff...I add a few wee bits of ethanol free gas. It seems to penatrate better. Can you still buy creosote?
 
Nope. I am not commercial enough to get permission to use it. It is basically regulated to light pole and railroad tie uses. Maybe a couple other uses but mainly govt and railroad which has basically govt level industry leverage.
 
Nope. I am not commercial enough to get permission to use it. It is basically regulated to light pole and railroad tie uses. Maybe a couple other uses but mainly govt and railroad which has basically govt level industry leverage.
Can't find it here anymore. Old gas and used motor oil look like the next best for coating the RR tie wall.
 
I didn't hear a thing. But Iay have a stash of oil that I forgot to dispose of behind my shed... If it spills anywhere near a diesel/ weed killer spill, it can be deadly to plants... Just saying. Old timers use to fill a 5 gallon bucket half full and soak fence posts in it before coating them with trowel grade tar and encasing in a wrapping. Or so I have been told
 
Back
Top