How's your day been?

We've got a railroad tie plant near here, but smelling it as you drive by is as close as I've been to creosote for a long while.

Dad worked at a IH dealership for a good many years and I've still got about 2 dozen Hy-Tran buckets that haven't been cleaned yet. Still have a couple ones cut off with old oil in them. When done using shovels, etc, clean shovel and prop it up in the bucket to coat with oil.

We used to just spread the oil on the gravel around the shed to keep weeds and dust down.
 
I didn't hear a thing. But Iay have a stash of oil that I forgot to dispose of behind my shed... If it spills anywhere near a diesel/ weed killer spill, it can be deadly to plants... Just saying. Old timers use to fill a 5 gallon bucket half full and soak fence posts in it before coating them with trowel grade tar and encasing in a wrapping. Or so I have been told
Did that in the 1970's.....Old timers...ya, guess Dad would be considered that now if he was with us. The dip deterred ants and other borers as well. Dipped cedar and a few others but not recalling doing the locust posts.
 
Went to go look for some of the old asphalt roof patch recently, but could not find any - everything is elastomeric or rubberized. Did not realize that all that kind of stuff had been demonized and done away with. I knew we had to use all low-VOC in buildings, but did not realize they had gone that far.
 
Went to go look for some of the old asphalt roof patch recently, but could not find any - everything is elastomeric or rubberized. Did not realize that all that kind of stuff had been demonized and done away with. I knew we had to use all low-VOC in buildings, but did not realize they had gone that far.
You can still get Black Jack in caulk gun form. I use that then use driveway sealer as a topper.
 
Last night Denise took me to a show in Denver. Her friend was unable to make it, didn’t want show tickets or room to go to waste. Very entertaining, just not what I expected. Who knew a self help show could be so much fun. Heard my wife talk about her, just didn’t realize what she was all about.

IMG_0770.webp
 
Beautiful! That’s a huge house with the blue dormers. Chuck
I don't have any info on it, but I'd guess that's probably a $3 million (or more) build. The lot itself on the main body of the lake was minimum $500,000.

FYI, that is at Oak Run, on a 580 acre lake (man made).
 
Last edited:
That’ pretty water. Wish I lived on a lake. Maybe in my second retirement.
This one is nice during the week, but absolutely bonkers on weekends. Private lake, landowners only, but allow non residents to buy small lots without building anything and give them lake access. Additionally, each lot can be divided and owned by up to 4 different people. Then multiply that by 2 boat licenses per owner. Currently there are 2600 lots, 550 of which are lakefront.

You couldn't pay me to live in a lakefront house there unless I had another place to go on weekends.
 
Slow Friday, nice to see snow, but I’m not firing up the heaters in the shop so I stayed here in the office and finished up a few moor flies for me and friends. Just experimenting using trusted materials and basic patterns and just modifying for ease of tying. I believe they are just ugly enough to trigger a pike, bass, or…….

IMG_0345.webp
 
Took care of some erands this morning and then went for a ride on the scoot. Stopped at my favorite spot in St Clair by the river for a burger and watched the freighters go by. Awesome day. Put about 110 miles on the scoot, she's a keeper.
20260417_142026.jpg
 
Last edited:
Paint on the boat trailer bunks cured so today was the day to wrap them in new carpet.
Spread adhesive on the painted side.
20260418_145101.jpg
Staple with stainless steel staples. The bottoms are left open and un treated so they can dry out between dunkings.
20260418_151240.jpg
Voila! New bunk.
20260418_143523.jpg
I don't know how I did it but I forgot to order carpet for 2 of the bunks. Amazon will deliver it tomorrow.
 
Last edited:
Went to a car show Saturday. Had a good time. Here's m[ne setup.
CC41926.webp
Worked a bit on her garage door Sunday. Refuses to close. Looks like one of the sensors is bad, New ones coming today. Had a visitor from the back yard show up! Good size on this one. Way bigger than a dog.
IMG_4311.webp
 
Went to a car show Saturday. Had a good time. Here's m[ne setup.
View attachment 287660
Worked a bit on her garage door Sunday. Refuses to close. Looks like one of the sensors is bad, New ones coming today. Had a visitor from the back yard show up! Good size on this one. Way bigger than a dog.
View attachment 287661
That alien car is awesome! Hope the bear doesn’t try to come into your garage. Chuck
 
I guess this is how's your week been. Sunday morning we noticed water on the utility room floor. After a little investigation I determined that our 7 year old heat pump water heater had rusted through. Since it was near the floor drain and not leaking much I decided to let it leak. The heater had a 10 year warranty but I didn't expect to get much if anything. Monday morning I took the original invoice to the plumbing supply house that I purchased it from. Much to my surprise they verified the mfg date, sale date, and serial number and said your covered. They charged a $2000 unit to my account, I went home and installed it, took the leaker back and got full credit for it. Some inconvenience but my emergency tool money stash is still in tact.
 
I guess this is how's your week been. Sunday morning we noticed water on the utility room floor. After a little investigation I determined that our 7 year old heat pump water heater had rusted through. Since it was near the floor drain and not leaking much I decided to let it leak. The heater had a 10 year warranty but I didn't expect to get much if anything. Monday morning I took the original invoice to the plumbing supply house that I purchased it from. Much to my surprise they verified the mfg date, sale date, and serial number and said your covered. They charged a $2000 unit to my account, I went home and installed it, took the leaker back and got full credit for it. Some inconvenience but my emergency tool money stash is still in tact.
That’s a once in a blue moon story! Congrats! Chuck
 
I helped the pastor of my church take down a river birch in his front yard. It was a pretty easy job and we could just drop branches. I did most of the cutting and ladder work, he don't like ladders, lol. 20260421_101803.webp 20260421_120130.webp 20260421_121240.webp
Did the whole job with my ego chainsaw and pole saw.
20260421_121259.webp
Got there at 9 and we where done by noon. The city will come by and chip the branches. I have to come back with a gas chainsaw to cut the stump. I brought one freshly sharpened but the chain was wore out and was making dust not chips. I purchased a new chain for it yesterday.
I thought I'd just grab my huskvarna 365 but it was a no start, coil puked, no spark. So that'll be a repair for another day. This will be the third coil for this saw, lol. But the saw was made in 1998. But when it runs it's a strong saw.
 
You missed an opportunity to get some exercise and have some fun - I'd have used an ax. Makes the neighbors nervous too. I love chopping down a tree with an ax.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top