How's your day been?

Thanks to the WB family (I'm pretty sure our side is the animaniacs) ... I am able to stay on a bed in the room . The Drs ,I trust, the floor nurses, I watch
We are awfully close to university of TN and a few of their students nurses rotate through. At my age, I know as much or more than first years.. especially about the equipment.
 
Well, today started off pretty good. Working with what I call "Splinter Wood", which is Hickory to most people. I was in the process of making a couple pieces of crown molding. I'll have post this here on my computer, then the pictures will have to be posted from my phone. Following up in about 10 minutes. ............... Nubs
 
Splinter wood stinks for detail stuff like crown molding. Especially if you don't get to cut the log for grain run out! The guys who make a mess of their own home sawn boards don't receive as much sympathy as the ones that buy someone else poorly cut stuff because they didn't get to see the log it came from and know some of what to watch for. But either one can still come apart on you and try to make pin cushions out of the operator and the room around said operator. Hope the pictures don't show you as a pin cushion my friend!
 
I’m back. Anyway, here’s a couple pictures
This first one is my setup. I have a feather clamped to the fence and another clamped to the table. In order to keep the feather board pressure on the piece being cut, I needed to put a board up against the long feather board using a board clamped from the back of the saw. IMG_7053.webp
I’m also using 30 pounds of Lead to keep the fence from rising to keep downward pressure on the wood being shaped.

Below is what I’m making.
IMG_7054.webp
This is what happened IMG_7055.webp
It’s a minor cut in my opinion. ……,,.Nubs
 
I’m back. Anyway, here’s a couple pictures
This first one is my setup. I have a feather clamped to the fence and another clamped to the table. In order to keep the feather board pressure on the piece being cut, I needed to put a board up against the long feather board using a board clamped from the back of the saw.View attachment 288676
I’m also using 30 pounds of Lead to keep the fence from rising to keep downward pressure on the wood being shaped.

Below is what I’m making.
View attachment 288675
This is what happenedView attachment 288677
It’s a minor cut in my opinion. ……,,.Nubs
OUCH! Do you have a router bit that makes the whole profile, or do you have to do multiple passes? Better wrap up that finger! Chuck
 
OUCH! Do you have a router bit that makes the whole profile, or do you have to do multiple passes? Better wrap up that finger! Chuck
I'm using a molding cutter for the beads on the edges, and another for the cove, so yes, multiple cutters. I couldn't find a router bit for this design, so I do it the old fashion way of adding some color.
If you look at the 2 top pictures, the square hole in the clamp shadow is where cutter is. I have large feather board I normally use at that location somewhere around here but couldn't find it. So, instead of really looking for it, lets lose a couple days for healing instead of getting the job done. I'll be working again tomorrow. .............. Nubs
 
Thanks to the WB family (I'm pretty sure our side is the animaniacs) ... I am able to stay on a bed in the room . The Drs ,I trust, the floor nurses, I watch
We are awfully close to university of TN and a few of their students nurses rotate through. At my age, I know as much or more than first years.. especially about the equipment.
Prayers that your wife has a successful surgery and wholesome recovery ❤️‍🩹
 
Well, another sad day. Seems our group has suffered to many of these losses this year including our previous 2. Our old man has been ,getting weaker and weaker and after being gone 12 days I saw a huge decline. We got him through the week, last night was really rough and we made the decision. For a large breed, he did great, 10 and a half years old. We adopted him at 7 due to a divorce. We did just what my wife wants to do. She wants to rescue older dogs that have landed in a situation not of their causing. We have done that with 3 now and are already on the lookout for the next. Not rushing, but first time my wife has been without a dog since 1984.

George adopted us immediately, a gentle giant of 140 pounds, never met a stranger especially if the carried a treat (the UPS guys always had a treat for him) and socially well mannered. And he was a shop dog!!!

IMG_1003.webp

IMG_1006.webp
 
Well, another sad day. Seems our group has suffered to many of these losses this year including our previous 2. Our old man has been ,getting weaker and weaker and after being gone 12 days I saw a huge decline. We got him through the week, last night was really rough and we made the decision. For a large breed, he did great, 10 and a half years old. We adopted him at 7 due to a divorce. We did just what my wife wants to do. She wants to rescue older dogs that have landed in a situation not of their causing. We have done that with 3 now and are already on the lookout for the next. Not rushing, but first time my wife has been without a dog since 1984.

George adopted us immediately, a gentle giant of 140 pounds, never met a stranger especially if the carried a treat (the UPS guys always had a treat for him) and socially well mannered. And he was a shop dog!!!

View attachment 288679

View attachment 288680
Love a Dane, have a close friend who rescues them in SC - wonderful dogs. Hate to hear about your loss, thinking of you both.
 
Well, another sad day. Seems our group has suffered to many of these losses this year including our previous 2. Our old man has been ,getting weaker and weaker and after being gone 12 days I saw a huge decline. We got him through the week, last night was really rough and we made the decision. For a large breed, he did great, 10 and a half years old. We adopted him at 7 due to a divorce. We did just what my wife wants to do. She wants to rescue older dogs that have landed in a situation not of their causing. We have done that with 3 now and are already on the lookout for the next. Not rushing, but first time my wife has been without a dog since 1984.

George adopted us immediately, a gentle giant of 140 pounds, never met a stranger especially if the carried a treat (the UPS guys always had a treat for him) and socially well mannered. And he was a shop dog!!!

View attachment 288679

View attachment 288680
Beautiful dog, great memories. Been a rough period of time with your pet family! Sorry for the repetitive losses. Chuck
 
Splinter wood stinks for detail stuff like crown molding. Especially if you don't get to cut the log for grain run out! The guys who make a mess of their own home sawn boards don't receive as much sympathy as the ones that buy someone else poorly cut stuff because they didn't get to see the log it came from and know some of what to watch for. But either one can still come apart on you and try to make pin cushions out of the operator and the room around said operator. Hope the pictures don't show you as a pin cushion my friend!
Frank, I’m calling it splinter wood mostly because just by looking at it, I can get at least 2 splinters. Touching it is asking for a couple more of them. And yes, it does a lot of splintering while working it, especially when getting very close to the dimension needed.
I’m not an expert on how to sticker it when milling, but after watching a bunch of videos of milling, the stickers must be aligned with all the others. For each layer of fresh cut wood, each sticker should align with the sticker below, otherwise when the wood dries, it will have high and low spots on the lengths. And the stuff I have has plenty of those high and low spots…This job will finally be done by the end of next week, and I'm calling it quits. Fifty years woodworking, with 1 1/4 lost fingers, now 12 fingernails and about 15 minor cuts and 48 years of being self employed is enough time for doing what I used to love. Now I really do hate woodworking. ……Nubs
 
Last edited:
Today I needed to get the crown molding done, but before doing so, I needed to make another feather board. Got it done and set up the cove cutter and got the molding done without drawing blood. It’s 7” wide and gives me the protection needed. IMG_7057.webp
A close up of it with the jig I used to cut the slots using a thin kerf blade. It worked great.
Here is my addiction. The far left one has the 1/2” x 3/4” arbor adapter and the middle one is also 5/8x3/4”. The one at far right and the one mounted are strictly 5/8”.
IMG_7059.webp
………. Nubs

IMG_7058.webp
 
I am typing this from the cardiac care unit in Columbus, Indiana. Yesterday I was not feeling well. After a bunch of testing, they decided to do a heart cath on me today. It seems as though the stents they put in 1.5 years ago have not held or done their job. Putting more in would mean I'd be in here for two more years. So the decision was made for a triple-bypass surgery sometime early this week.
 
I am typing this from the cardiac care unit in Columbus, Indiana. Yesterday I was not feeling well. After a bunch of testing, they decided to do a heart cath on me today. It seems as though the stents they put in 1.5 years ago have not held or done their job. Putting more in would mean I'd be in here for two more years. So the decision was made for a triple-bypass surgery sometime early this week.
My goodness! Thoughts & prayers with you for this time the solution! Chuck
 
I am typing this from the cardiac care unit in Columbus, Indiana. Yesterday I was not feeling well. After a bunch of testing, they decided to do a heart cath on me today. It seems as though the stents they put in 1.5 years ago have not held or done their job. Putting more in would mean I'd be in here for two more years. So the decision was made for a triple-bypass surgery sometime early this week.
Be praying for you. My wife is headed in for double , tomorrow morning. Also a stent / restenosis issue. Possibly scar tissue, possible plaque. Wonder if we are witnessing a change in the coatings they are using on the stents? Sometimes the only way we know when they change stuff in the construction field is when it quits working the way it used to....
 
Back
Top