• A New Photo Gallery Has Been Added!!! Please share pictures of your finished projects in the New Photo Gallery for everyone to enjoy browsing. The New Photo Gallery is for FINISHED PROJECTS ONLY!! The New Photo Gallery section was created to give people a place to view photos without having to read through all the threads. Enjoy everyone and please contribute!

Workbench Build

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Congrats on the glueup! Looking fantastic! Wondering how much does it weigh? Chuck

The top itself weighs about 80lbs. Once everything is done, I'm guessing the bench will weigh in somewhere in the 175 to 200lb range.

That's going to be almost too pretty to use as work bench.

This will see many years of use and abuse. :cool:

If you want to see a really good looking bench - and one that is used as it should be - you need to check out @Mike1950 's workbench.

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
Looks like a fun project. Do you ever feel like you spend more time building stuff for the shop that anything else. I know I do especially this year.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
That's a great build. You're going to need two men and a small boy to move it though.

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Looks like a fun project. Do you ever feel like you spend more time building stuff for the shop that anything else. I know I do especially this year.

This year, for certain. Next year it should skew the other direction and should be mostly furniture builds.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Somehow missed this thread, looks great so far Matt!

And I'm so far from being a kid it's not even funny @ripjack13

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
I just realized that I didn't take any pictures of the work I did today!

Got the top out of clamps, cut to length, and cut in with the router for the vise mounting. And, let's be honest, the router and I? Well, the router is not my friend. It's my least favorite power tool. And today, for some reason, it didn't hold its setting and it started to cut deeper while I was using it. Thankfully I wasn't too far into it when I noticed it. At least that won't be seen at all once the vice is mounted.

I squared up and sized the legs using the jointer and planer. Have not yet cut to length.

I also milled up some more wood and glued up pieces for the stretchers.

Didn't get quite as much done today as I wanted to, but still happy with my progress. Tomorrow is the last day of my staycation. I'm hoping to get the legs and stretchers done. I'm not anticipating that I would have an assembled base, but we'll see.

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Well, I didn't get much done today. Was gone all morning. Got some stuff done this afternoon and ran out of steam.

Here's where I'm at, now that my staycation is coming to an end. I would have liked to have gotten a little farther, but I'm also happy with where I'm at on this.

67.jpg

Top is done. Area for the vise has been cut in. Only thing to do on the top is cut out mortices for the tenons that will be on the legs to go into. I will also have to add some wood vise jaw liners after the vise is mounted.

Legs and stretchers have been made and milled to size. They have not yet been cut to length. I need to figure out some measurements for them before I go any further.

I also need to make the feet for the bench. My garage/shop floor is not level on account of it being sloped for a floor drain. So the bench needs levelling feet. I have used rubber hockey pucks for feet on a few things - they make great feet and keep things from sliding around. I'll be making my own levelling feet for this bench using hockey pucks and 1/2" bolts and hardware.

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Matt, what did you use to cut/trim the 2 1/2” top square?

Tom, I used my circular saw and one of these. The pencil line you see across the bottom side of the top is where I needed to line up the guide. My circular saw has a max depth cut of 2 1/2". I had a couple pieces under the top to support the offcut so it wouldn't drop and snap something off and the saw just barely nicked them.

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
I wondered because I don’t think my circular saw will reach 2 1/2”. I’ll have to look at that.

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Yeah, I was prepared to be a little shy and then have to cut by hand the rest of the way and then go at it with a flush trim bit in a router. Being able to just do it with the saw was nice! (Especially since the router and I are not friends.) I have a Makita circular saw that I've had for a while and it went through the full depth cut rather quickly without bogging down.

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Matt, what kind of wood did you use for the top?

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Marc, the bench is being built out of solid Ash.

I may introduce a different wood for the vise jaw liners, but I haven't decided yet.

Wildthings

ASTROS 2019 WORLD CHAMPION VIDEO PLAYERS
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Matt this is a great build thread. I have really been jealous enjoying it. Thanks for taking the time for recording it with pictures and sharing

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
This was progress that I made yesterday afternoon.

I put the dado stack into my table saw and cut around one end of the legs to form a tenon that will go into the top. With the reduced thickness where the tenon was, I was able to cut them to length.

68.jpg

Then I started on making my own heavy duty levelling feet. Using hockey pucks and 1/2" bolts, etc. Levelling feet are a necessity on anything in my shop, since the floor isn't level - it's sloped toward a floor drain, which is near where the bench is, and the slope is more prominent in that area. The rubber pucks provide a good, solid foot that won't side around.

69.jpg

Mount a puck on the lathe. Drilling on the lathe ensures that I will have centered holes and is quicker and easier than finding the center, marking it, and then lining everything up on the drill press. But you could do it on the drill press as well - I've done it that way as well.

70.jpg

Drill 1/3 to 1/2 way into the puck with a forstner bit. Ideally I would have used 1 1/8" or 1 1/4" to do this, but the next size up from 1" that I could find in my shop was 1 1/2", so that's what I used. It'll work just fine.

71.jpg

Then drill the remainder of the way through with a 1/2" bit. I prefer to use brad point bits for drilling through the hockey pucks as it doesn't blow out the backside of the hole.

72.jpg

And four feet, ready for hardware.

73.jpg

Insert the 1/2" carriage bolt. Don't worry about the square portion not going in - when you tighten the nut down, it'll pull it in and it'll be nice and secure in place.

74.jpg

Then put a washer and a jam nut on the other side and tighten down. You can use a regular nut, but I used a jam nut for the fact that it was thinner. And, see, it pulled the carriage bolt in.

75.jpg

And four finished levelling feet! I will inset the coupling nuts into the bottom of the legs. You could use T-nuts as well, but the hardware store didn't have any 1/2" T-nuts.

And hockey pucks do make great feet for things in the shop. I've used them as feet on Delta stands as well.

77.jpg

76.jpg