A Joke a Day Keeps The Boredom Away . . .

looking at that again, guess it is a 9+2+7+2=2 Just not sure if the 7 is correct. Whoever was backing up the 5 sure made a helluva throw to the broken leg 2!
Yep, 9-2-7-2. Helluva DP!
 
Aha. Excuse me not-being-a-fan-of-this-sport but I still don’t get the joke. (I might just be slow)
When you keep official scoring in baseball, or softball, the defensive field positions are given a number: 1 is the pitcher, 2 is the catcher, 3 is first base, 9 is the right fielder (in softball - you might have a 10th position - the rover, he can play the gaps in the outfield in slow pitch softball - fast pitch softball can be a little different) You keep count of the runs scored, but you also record the defensive plays. A defensive play is any action by the 9 fielders. So if the batter grounds to 3rd base, the fielder fields it and throws the batter out at first, then the play would be recorded as a 5+3 single out. Or you could go 5+3=1. A double play is when two outs are made on one defensive play. Say the batter grounds to the shortstop, he throws to second base, that guy is out, and then the second baseman quickly pivots and throws to first, and that guy is out; then that is a double play. It would be recorded as a 6+4+3 double play. Or 6+4+3=2 - that's the joke, probably the most common double play in baseball. As a catcher, I really enjoyed the 1+2+3 double play. As a right-handed thrower, I had to get into some weird positions to get the ball to 1st without hitting the runner. I tripped on the bat once, fell to my knees, and while falling face down, managed to get the ball to 1st for the double play.

The 9+2+7+2 double play that @SENC posted was very, very rare and special. The right fielder (9) fielded the ball and made a perfect throw to the catcher (2), who tagged the runner out, but was knocked down by the runner. While down, the catcher threw the ball to try to get a runner going from 2nd to 3rd, but made a wild throw. The left fielder (7) was backing up the 3rd baseman (as he should), fielded the wild throw, and made a perfect throw to the catcher (2), who tagged the runner out. Therefore 9+2+7+2=2
 
from the ground, with a broken leg!

It's pretty obvious the runner knew, given how he almost tried to tip-toe delicately around the catcher.
With the throw from right field going almost directly to the catcher's mitt, it reminded me of the scene in Sandlot where Benny the Jet hit a fly directly into the glove of Smalls.
 
Well, you do have a point. IMO, Mike did mess up the equation (and I just followed along rather than correcting him). But as a fellow grammar nazi, I'll fix them for you.

6-4-3=2
<
5-4-3=2
<
2-3=2
<
7-2=2
<
9-2=2

These equations do all happen from time-to-time, some more regularly than others. The greatest, though, to my knowledge has only happened once.

9-2-7-2=2
My high school coach wanted them shown with the "+" marks, and I just kept it up.
 
When you keep official scoring in baseball, or softball, the defensive field positions are given a number: 1 is the pitcher, 2 is the catcher, 3 is first base, 9 is the right fielder (in softball - you might have a 10th position - the rover, he can play the gaps in the outfield in slow pitch softball - fast pitch softball can be a little different) You keep count of the runs scored, but you also record the defensive plays. A defensive play is any action by the 9 fielders. So if the batter grounds to 3rd base, the fielder fields it and throws the batter out at first, then the play would be recorded as a 5+3 single out. Or you could go 5+3=1. A double play is when two outs are made on one defensive play. Say the batter grounds to the shortstop, he throws to second base, that guy is out, and then the second baseman quickly pivots and throws to first, and that guy is out; then that is a double play. It would be recorded as a 6+4+3 double play. Or 6+4+3=2 - that's the joke, probably the most common double play in baseball. As a catcher, I really enjoyed the 1+2+3 double play. As a right-handed thrower, I had to get into some weird positions to get the ball to 1st without hitting the runner. I tripped on the bat once, fell to my knees, and while falling face down, managed to get the ball to 1st for the double play.

The 9+2+7+2 double play that @SENC posted was very, very rare and special. The right fielder (9) fielded the ball and made a perfect throw to the catcher (2), who tagged the runner out, but was knocked down by the runner. While down, the catcher threw the ball to try to get a runner going from 2nd to 3rd, but made a wild throw. The left fielder (7) was backing up the 3rd baseman (as he should), fielded the wild throw, and made a perfect throw to the catcher (2), who tagged the runner out. Therefore 9+2+7+2=2
Now that you brought it into perspective, I get what it means, but I'll never use it. It's not math as math goes.

@Wildthings , using jet lag seems to me to be a pretty lame excuse for not knowing the answer to this as heavily as you are into baseball, or at least the team you're supporting. :sofa: ............. Nubs
 
So wise in the ways of spoon carving, Yoda is.
 
Lard is organic, isn't it?
Never thought of that. Other than grandma's cooking, I did not have anything fried in lard for a long time until I went up to Northern Saskatchewan to fish for monster pike. We'd stop and fish for some walleye and go to shore to have lunch. Guides had like a 4' diameter cast iron skillet - into which they threw squares of lard in and then the fish. Boy was it good! Been frying catfish and chicken fried steak in it since. Got hold of some rendered tallow recently and gonna try that.
 
Last edited:
Alaska is kind of like that, too!
I tell ya, the place that I've been that had the greatest density of mosquitoes that I've encountered was at Lake Sam Rayburn (I think, it may have been another lake in that East Texas area). We were on the way to somewhere else (something near Texarkana that dad wanted to see) and decided to camp for the night there. We parked the camper and everyone got out, but very quickly got back into the car (mustang) slapping and killing mosquitos that had followed us back into the car. Dad told the girls and mom to stay in the car while we set up the camper. We set it up in record time but my arms were red and swollen from the bites. We got some sheets from the camper and wrapped mom and the girls in them while we transferred them into the camper. Used insecticide to kill the ones that got into the camper during the transfer by the hundreds. They were really wanting our blood as they were plastered on the window screens. Had to seal every hole that we could find with paper towels and toilet paper to keep them from coming in. Finally got some sleep. The next morning, they were gone, but we lit a smokey fire anyways.
 
I tell ya, the place that I've been that had the greatest density of mosquitoes that I've encountered was at Lake Sam Rayburn (I think, it may have been another lake in that East Texas area). We were on the way to somewhere else (something near Texarkana that dad wanted to see) and decided to camp for the night there. We parked the camper and everyone got out, but very quickly got back into the car (mustang) slapping and killing mosquitos that had followed us back into the car. Dad told the girls and mom to stay in the car while we set up the camper. We set it up in record time but my arms were red and swollen from the bites. We got some sheets from the camper and wrapped mom and the girls in them while we transferred them into the camper. Used insecticide to kill the ones that got into the camper during the transfer by the hundreds. They were really wanting our blood as they were plastered on the window screens. Had to seal every hole that we could find with paper towels and toilet paper to keep them from coming in. Finally got some sleep. The next morning, they were gone, but we lit a smokey fire anyways.
Encountered lots and lots of mosquitoes in various places - Alaska, the Blue River right before it enters Dillon Reservoir and also up in the valley where there's a lot of beaver ponds (I'd make a cast and by the time the fly lit on the water my arm would be literally covered in mosquitos), bush wacking into the old French Canal to try for tarpon in Panama. BUT the only place I've had mosquito bites actually hurt when they bit was Florida Everglades. The little black salt marsh mozzies are the worst.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top