How's your day been?

Was 63 here today so outside to the boat I went. I sorted through all the gear that was on it and pitched what wasn't needed. Then I tried out the top to figure out how that worked. Put the battery on a charger. And installed a new cover. She's coming along.
Top is up, it's nice to have that to get out of the sun when fishing.
View attachment 286372
I gotta figure out how to straighten that one bow out.
View attachment 286373
New cover is on. I gotta get some more straps for that.
View attachment 286374
Can you use framing lumber and build a form to fix the bow?
 
Was 63 here today so outside to the boat I went. I sorted through all the gear that was on it and pitched what wasn't needed. Then I tried out the top to figure out how that worked. Put the battery on a charger. And installed a new cover. She's coming along.
Top is up, it's nice to have that to get out of the sun when fishing.
View attachment 286372
I gotta figure out how to straighten that one bow out.
View attachment 286373
New cover is on. I gotta get some more straps for that.
View attachment 286374
i kept looking for the "for sale" sign
 
Work on thee boat swim platform continues. Sanded thru the grits to 220. Used an 1/8" roundover bit in a trim router to break all the edges. Used compressed air to blow all the dust out of the grain.
Trim router.....
20260321_175500.webp
All edges rounded now.
20260321_175512.webp
This is what the man at the .arine hardware store recommended to use. Stupid expensive at $55 a quart.
20260321_181133.webp
Open the can and instant solvent smell, high voc.
20260321_181341.webp
It does have some color added to it.
20260321_181358.webp
First coat, still wet in the pic. Its not supposed to be glossy.
20260321_183410.webp
It did bring thee color back.
20260321_183506.webp
I'm shooting for at least 3 coats. The can said to brush it on, dude at the store said to rag it on, so rag it on I did.
 
So I have 3 coats of the finish on the platform so far. I gave it about 5 days to cure. Then today I sanded it down with 320 grit and a block of wood. Then blew out all the dust.
20260401_153704.webp
Then I rubbed it down with very fine synthetic steel wool to give it a satin look. This is the look I'm after, a soft natural wood look, not glossy.
20260401_155921.webp
I gave it one more coat of finish and now I'll wait about 5 days ish before I rub it down with the synthetic steel wool again and I'll call it done.
Now to pull the outdrive on the boat to service it without the swimm platform in my way.
 
So I have 3 coats of the finish on the platform so far. I gave it about 5 days to cure. Then today I sanded it down with 320 grit and a block of wood. Then blew out all the dust.
View attachment 286861
Then I rubbed it down with very fine synthetic steel wool to give it a satin look. This is the look I'm after, a soft natural wood look, not glossy.
View attachment 286862
I gave it one more coat of finish and now I'll wait about 5 days ish before I rub it down with the synthetic steel wool again and I'll call it done.
Now to pull the outdrive on the boat to service it without the swimm platform in my way.
Looking nearly new!
 
My Trout Unlimited chapter has an annual fishing outing on April 1. Something about fools and board members. Weather was damp and cool which we can’t complain about given how dry we have been, but actually a great day. And the fish cooperated with me a little. Not as much as the other guys, but given my outings last fall were skunks, I had a very fun day. I think I am grinning big enough.

IMG_0331.webp

IMG_0751.webp
 
My Trout Unlimited chapter has an annual fishing outing on April 1. Something about fools and board members. Weather was damp and cool which we can’t complain about given how dry we have been, but actually a great day. And the fish cooperated with me a little. Not as much as the other guys, but given my outings last fall were skunks, I had a very fun day. I think I am grinning big enough.

View attachment 286998

View attachment 286999
Beautiful!
 
Still cooking for tomorrow. 24 hour fruit salad and cherry delight dessert done, just finished cinnamon rolls and pecan rolls, PXL_20260405_010827350.webp have to do garlic mashed taters then I can go to bed.....
 
My Trout Unlimited chapter has an annual fishing outing on April 1. Something about fools and board members. Weather was damp and cool which we can’t complain about given how dry we have been, but actually a great day. And the fish cooperated with me a little. Not as much as the other guys, but given my outings last fall were skunks, I had a very fun day. I think I am grinning big enough.

View attachment 286998

View attachment 286999
Nice! Damp cool days make for excellent blue winged olive hatches. Although it looks like some tiny midge beadhead stuck in the snout of that rainbow.

They haven't started taking irrigation water out of the Deschutes yet so access is still difficult (high water into the willows and chokecherries etc. Once they start pulling out irrigation water I'll probably try to get out to see if I remember anything.
 
Nice! Damp cool days make for excellent blue winged olive hatches. Although it looks like some tiny midge beadhead stuck in the snout of that rainbow.

They haven't started taking irrigation water out of the Deschutes yet so access is still difficult (high water into the willows and chokecherries etc. Once they start pulling out irrigation water I'll probably try to get out to see if I remember anything.
We kept waiting for the BWOs to spring forth but they hadn’t by the time I needed to leave. Lots of BWO nymphs swimming when one of the guys pulled his sein out. Perfect day for them, not sure why they were stubborn.
 
So I have 3 coats of the finish on the platform so far. I gave it about 5 days to cure. Then today I sanded it down with 320 grit and a block of wood. Then blew out all the dust.
View attachment 286861
Then I rubbed it down with very fine synthetic steel wool to give it a satin look. This is the look I'm after, a soft natural wood look, not glossy.
View attachment 286862
I gave it one more coat of finish and now I'll wait about 5 days ish before I rub it down with the synthetic steel wool again and I'll call it done.
Now to pull the outdrive on the boat to service it without the swimm platform in my way.
Finishing teak, when work bench legs are in the background staring at ya!
 
My Trout Unlimited chapter has an annual fishing outing on April 1. Something about fools and board members. Weather was damp and cool which we can’t complain about given how dry we have been, but actually a great day. And the fish cooperated with me a little. Not as much as the other guys, but given my outings last fall were skunks, I had a very fun day. I think I am grinning big enough.

View attachment 286998

View attachment 286999
I can't wait until next year!!
 
4th coat dried nice, leveled out pretty good. Rubbed it down with synthetic extra fine pad to break the gloss and give it more of a satin finish so you could actually see the wood and not the gloss.
Before the rub down....
20260407_185745.webp
After the rub down.
20260407_191820.webp
I like the satin look, doesn’t look so plasticy.
20260407_191847.webp
Before.....
20260319_164833.webp
After.
20260407_191820.webp
 
Back
Top